Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if any fellow owners can offer input into the reasonable labor required in hours to replace a set of 8 spark plugs for a Coyote or Roadrunner motor.

All helpful insight will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
As an fyi...when I did my Mark LT 5.4.... Actual working time: 2 hours…..including washing my hands, total time was 5 hours (allowing penetrant time to work)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have not heard that the Coyote motors have plug removal issues like the 3V motors.

Is there something in particular that makes you wonder about the job? It should be very straight forward, very easy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ford lists 1.5 hours labor to replace the plugs. I pulled them myself once and the coyote is one of the easiest engines to do this on. I was easily able to do that in that amount of time and I'm by no means a pro mechanic.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is very easy to change the spark plugs on these motors. All you need is a 5/8" deep wall socket and a long extension. I swapped mine out when I installed my blower and it only took an hour or so. I used the coil packs to pull the spark plugs out after they were loosened. You might need a torque wrench as well. I used one to torque them down to 20 lb-ft per NGK specifications.

·
Registered
439 Posts
As an fyi...when I did my Mark LT 5.4.... Actual working time: 2 hours…..including washing my hands, total time was 5 hours (allowing penetrant time to work)
The Coyote/Roadrunner 5.0 motors don't have the plug removal issues like the 4.6/5.4 had. It should take under an hour to replace the plugs on these new motors.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Make sure you disconnect the battery first or at least cover the power wire completely so you don't accidently zap the main fuse with your socket wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts