Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a look at one of my M/T's and noticed a crack in the sidewall. It's only on one side and isn't that deep; it's more cosmetic than anything. With that said, anyone think this is SERIOUS? Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
"ouch" i feel sympathy for your ride

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These aren't mounted yet. They will be used at the track in a couple of weeks though. I looked at the auction I won them on again and the guy said they were ok. I'm just looking for more of a 2nd opinion with this post.

Plus, if it pops, I can blame you guys. :nogrinner

·
Registered
122 Posts
oh ok

you couldnt blame us you would have to blame yourself for trusting us not all of us are mechanics

hell im not

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
How many miles are on them? If it's just a surface crack, it might just be from the sidewall flexing.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
don't look too bad but after you mount them the pressure and weight of the car might be a different story.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Cracks in the side walls on regular tires is bad enough but on slicks its serious. The side wall is in slicks is a lot thinner. I wouldn't use them. Joel did you buy them used? If that blows out at the track, you could lose control of your car. Is it worth it for a used tire?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I would not use those for one second. Sidewall is the worst place to have tire damage especially on a drag tire. As travelers mentioned, the sidewalls of drag tires flex much more than normal road tires.

It could be just a cosmetic issue but are you really going to bet your car and life on that premise? Bite the bullet and toss them.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Order new tire, aye.

They were used, but maybe once or twice at best. They have excellent tread. The other tire is fine and the other side of this one is ok as well. Given my luck with mods, I figured ordering a new one would probably be my best option.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Order new tire, aye.

They were used, but maybe once or twice at best. They have excellent tread. The other tire is fine and the other side of this one is ok as well. Given my luck with mods, I figured ordering a new one would probably be my best option.
You have chosen wisely.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Stress cracking, don't use them. Smack the seller of them too.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
That last picture has part of the DOT # what are the last 3, or 4 numbers?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
This guy sells tires...Listen to him.
Perfect business when ya own a Mustang, lol.

Yeah, I would say this guy did a lot of driving on them with low psi.
More than just runs down the strip, but rides to and from the strip.

How the heck did my above post get before this one. I posted this one 1st, lol, strange.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Looks like he was running innertubes in them also, wtf!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like he was running innertubes in them also, wtf!
Yeah, they came with tubes. Should I not use those? I thought that it would be better if I did. :headscratch:

The last 4 numbers are 1800. What does that mean?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Radials should not be run with tubes. Those are tubeless designs
Those tires are 8 years old is what it means. :thumbdown

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
How the heck did my above post get before this one. I posted this one 1st, lol, strange.
This has been happening in here a lot latley, :laugh: Must be a few gremlins still in the works. :gringreen

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Lol, yeah, no way in the world would I trust those.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.