Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told todaythat my 2002 Mustang V6 has a cracked manifold. It was making a rhythmic ticking sound for awhile (almost like the sound of a pressure cooker) when it first started up, then the sound would go away as the car warmed up. Last night it did this sound, then started driving horribly, with violent shaking of the motor and car, and poor acceleration. If reved up enough it would stop, but back at idle it would continue to shake. The check engine light came on, blinked, then stayed on. The mechanic today said it was an issue with the plugs and wires ($300) and also a cracked manifold ($300-$400). He said that he is speaking with the Ford dealers nearby and they might fix it due to warranty (I guess he's referring to the recall because the manufacturer's warranty expired, the car is now at 44,000 miles). But it is not for sure.

Can anyone give me any info on this recall? I've gone to the link on alldata.com, but can't seem to find specific information. ANY help would be appreciated. I am a new Mustang owner and don't want this situation to turn me off from buying Fords.

Thank you!

Nick
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
which manifold? and plugs and wires are only $80 if you go performance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is the exhaust manifold. And I'm guessing that the plugs are wires quote was so high due to the labor?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
exhaust manifolds are only a couple hundred bucks as well.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just had to replace the exhaust manifold... yea it was only $300 i think... so its not really a big deal.... but why replace it when you could just get headers? they would take care of the problem, and you would get a few HP out of it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ticking (Clicking) Noise

I too have experienced exactly what you have, just on Sunday evening, and I can't help but wonder, why is this not a mandatory recall. At the time I was returning home, on the interstate, my car began to sputter, lose power intervally, then all of a sudden the check engine light came on. The more I tried to gain power by accelerating the more the car seemed to struggle to get up the miles. Mind you, I too had heard that ticking sound, maybe a week ago, for the first time. Once the car is idled, maybe for 30 seconds, the noise stops. My check engine light did not stay on, and I was able to drive on home safely, as if nothing happened, but my boyfriend seems to think it was a case of bad (water in it) gasoline. My car now has 80,000 miles on it, with the bulk coming from interstate driving. I guess I will be going back to the dealership on Monday, seeing as this is my first issue with this car.

·
Registered
982 Posts
CorralGal said:
I too have experienced exactly what you have, just on Sunday evening, and I can't help but wonder, why is this not a mandatory recall. At the time I was returning home, on the interstate, my car began to sputter, lose power intervally, then all of a sudden the check engine light came on. The more I tried to gain power by accelerating the more the car seemed to struggle to get up the miles. Mind you, I too had heard that ticking sound, maybe a week ago, for the first time. Once the car is idled, maybe for 30 seconds, the noise stops. My check engine light did not stay on, and I was able to drive on home safely, as if nothing happened, but my boyfriend seems to think it was a case of bad (water in it) gasoline. My car now has 80,000 miles on it, with the bulk coming from interstate driving. I guess I will be going back to the dealership on Monday, seeing as this is my first issue with this car.
Yea i think ford should do a recall... mine cracked at 40,000 miles... i mean come on... but thats the reason i went with headers... now i dont have to worry about it :)... i think ford should just upgrade us all to headers!!!lol like ford would even think about that!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Take the number of cars with the problem in the market. Multiply that by the cost to do the recall. Divide that by the amount they could loose from a lawsuit becuase of this. If the recall could cause a fatality then they would do a recall, but then again, when does your warranty expire? 3year/36,000 most people experience this at 40,000 oops no warranty.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
CorralGal said:
What year is your car?

·
Registered
87 Posts
What year are most of the manifolds cracking on? I have a 2000 with 97,000 highway miles on it, and no problems yet... Also, can you hear it when it cracks, or does the mechanic have to tell you that after an inspection?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
jrspony said:
What year are most of the manifolds cracking on? I have a 2000 with 97,000 highway miles on it, and no problems yet... Also, can you hear it when it cracks, or does the mechanic have to tell you that after an inspection?
It'll sound like a tic every second.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
nickofsteele said:
I was told todaythat my 2002 Mustang V6 has a cracked manifold. It was making a rhythmic ticking sound for awhile (almost like the sound of a pressure cooker) when it first started up, then the sound would go away as the car warmed up. Last night it did this sound, then started driving horribly, with violent shaking of the motor and car, and poor acceleration. If reved up enough it would stop, but back at idle it would continue to shake. The check engine light came on, blinked, then stayed on. The mechanic today said it was an issue with the plugs and wires ($300) and also a cracked manifold ($300-$400). He said that he is speaking with the Ford dealers nearby and they might fix it due to warranty (I guess he's referring to the recall because the manufacturer's warranty expired, the car is now at 44,000 miles). But it is not for sure.

Can anyone give me any info on this recall? I've gone to the link on alldata.com, but can't seem to find specific information. ANY help would be appreciated. I am a new Mustang owner and don't want this situation to turn me off from buying Fords.

Thank you!

Nick
[email protected]

the manifold had nothing to do with the shaking of the car, and a 44,000 miles I doubt the plugs and wires had anything to do with it either.

I'd guess a dirty MAF, just spray it with computer contact cleaner.

The exhaust manifold is a voluntary recall. If you complain about it, they'll generally replace it . ..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had somewhat of a problem like this a couple of times. As I was pulling onto the highway, I hit around 50 MPH, and being that my Check Engine Soon light is always on because of my O2 sensors, my check engine light started blinking. Never had this problem before, but as I was trying to accelerate it felt as if it was struggling to gain speed. It started sputtering and it felt as if I was almost to the floor with the pedal and nothing was happening. All of a sudden it just cleared up. I had the same problem with that again, and then a 3rd time. But after the 3rd time it stopped doing it. Haven't the problem since then. But my car is a 2001 and has a little over 46k miles on it.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
01greenV6 said:
I've had somewhat of a problem like this a couple of times. As I was pulling onto the highway, I hit around 50 MPH, and being that my Check Engine Soon light is always on because of my O2 sensors, my check engine light started blinking. Never had this problem before, but as I was trying to accelerate it felt as if it was struggling to gain speed. It started sputtering and it felt as if I was almost to the floor with the pedal and nothing was happening. All of a sudden it just cleared up. I had the same problem with that again, and then a 3rd time. But after the 3rd time it stopped doing it. Haven't the problem since then. But my car is a 2001 and has a little over 46k miles on it.
It's usually a dirty MAF or you need to change your fuel filter.

That really has nothing to do with O2 sensors or a cracked manifold. The car runs fine with bad 02 sensors.

When it bucks or doesn't accelerate it has to do with the air/fuel mixture. Either it's not getting enough fuel (contamination in the fuel lines plugging the filter for a while) or the computer can't get the air/fuel mixture right, usually due to contamination of the MAF wires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.