Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks in advance for the help.
I just purchased my mustang 2 weeks ago and it ran (and still runs) great, but today I took it and had 3.73 gears, a K&N FIPK, and bought an SCT tuner. The guy at the shop loaded 2 tunes on it one for 87 and one for 93. I am running the 87 since my tank is full. I put 100 miles on it today and I noticed when I press the throttle all the way to the floor it makes a crackling noise, like paper being wadded up, coming from up front somewhere, I thought it might be wind noise, but it does it even when I am not going very fast and go WOT. any ideas on what this could be? Is it just the noise from the new intake? or detonation (not sure I would know what that sounded like) But it was not doing this before the modifications, its not extremely loud, but I am a little concerned Thanx again!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Aggiestang said:
Hello all and thanks in advance for the help.
I just purchased my mustang 2 weeks ago and it ran (and still runs) great, but today I took it and had 3.73 gears, a K&N FIPK, and bought an SCT tuner. The guy at the shop loaded 2 tunes on it one for 87 and one for 93. I am running the 87 since my tank is full. I put 100 miles on it today and I noticed when I press the throttle all the way to the floor it makes a crackling noise, like paper being wadded up, coming from up front somewhere, I thought it might be wind noise, but it does it even when I am not going very fast and go WOT. any ideas on what this could be? Is it just the noise from the new intake? or detonation (not sure I would know what that sounded like) But it was not doing this before the modifications, its not extremely loud, but I am a little concerned Thanx again!
Try and listen where the noise is coming from. It doesnt sound like detonation...that would make a 'ping' noise. Do you think your exhaust is popping?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing a search, I think it's either just intake noise, or maybe detonation (not a pinging noise though really) I will check it out and let everyone know. Also going to try 89 and see if that helps

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The tuner may have gotten too agressive with the tune and you could be experiencing detonation. Put the stock tune back in and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You could put the stock tune back in or you could take some timing out in small increments until it clears up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do! If it is detonation will different "colder" plugs fix it? I don't know what kind of plugs are in it now (just bought the car used). Any recommendations on plugs?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you're looking to drop a heat range try NGK TR6 plugs at .035 gap. I think part number 4177 is a .040 gap but you can close it down a bit from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.