Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was on my way home from a weekend vacation with the girlfriend, an noticed on the expressway onramp that there's a crackling sound at the higher end of the rpms, probably 5500 and higher. I've only heard it at w.o.t, and it goes away as soon as the car shifts. I haven't noticed any negative operating characteristics other than the sound. but it happens every time I'm at high rpms and wide open in the lower gears. It sounds like a "tinny" crackling as if perhaps some of the medium inside the cats has seperated or broken off and is clanking around inside the actual catalytic converter when there's a lot of air/pressure going through there. That's my best hypothesis anyways.

Does anyone else notice this or have any idea what it could be? I know it's tough to diagnose with the description, and I suppose if I need to I can try to record the sound if it helps. Thanks everyone.

Joe

·
Registered
468 Posts
Actually, I think I experienced this this weekend myself. I don't think (hope) it's knocking or detonation. But your right, It's more of a crackling noise. But it doesn't do ot but once in a great while for me, as I've had the car for a month and I just noticed it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Probably pre-ignition pinging.

Try changing the gas you use.
Could be, but in my case I filled my tank with 4 gallons of 93 in it with 87 and swapped back to an 87 tune last week. I have flogged it numerous times since and heard it yesterday, and seemed to have gone away now. Maybe the sensors where checking knocking bounds trying to advance timing?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm having the same thing happen to me in similar conditions that you described. I havent had my oil changed yet and I'm at about 4k miles. I was wondering if it was some metal shavings or something from the engine breaking in. I was going to see if it was maybe metal shavings trapped inside the oil filter. I've only used 93 octane so I dont know about detonation.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm having the same thing happen to me in similar conditions that you described. I havent had my oil changed yet and I'm at about 4k miles. I was wondering if it was some metal shavings or something from the engine breaking in. I was going to see if it was maybe metal shavings trapped inside the oil filter. I've only used 93 octane so I dont know about detonation.
mine is an auto, I think the op's is too. Is yours? I have 1300 miles on mine.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this may seem silly, but I noticed a crackling noise as well which seemed to occur more the harder I drove. I found the source of the sound coming from the front vents by the windsheild and when I pushed/shaked the vents I produced the same crackling noise, so I think its the vibrations from the car when I'm driving it hard is making it shake and giving me that crackling noise.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ahh okay! thank you!! Wag our Tail was one i thought of too as in like snakeing off the line or something lol. was like, that cant be it LOL.

·
Registered
837 Posts
stomping the go pedal

it might just be interior noise? I haven't experienced this but I've noticed a few posts recently claiming this sympton

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it's definately nothing to do with the oil, that I'm sure. I've heard it before the oil change and after, as I just had my oil changed last thursday, and the car has 14k on it now.

I'm not so sure it could be anything having to do with a loose vent or anything like that because I'd hear it going just about anywhere on our messed up Michigan roads, but I'll check into that after work today.

Yes, mine is an auto as well.

The only gas I use unless I'm in a pinch is BP 93 premium with "Invigorate", or shell's 93 premium, which are supposed to be some of the best gasses in this region. Always 93 octane, nothing else. EVER. Always from busy stations that get deliveries usually twice a week. I guess the best course of action would be to switch the car back to stock and see if I can't get the problem to repeat. If it does, I'll take a trip to the dealership so they can tell me I'm crazy and it's supposed to do that. lol Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
same thing on my auto.. it sounds like its in the intake.. only does it sometimes.. i have the 87 street tune. its weird but nothing has gone wrong.. yett. it definantly not in the cabin.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will do my best to get out and do a couple first gear pulls tomorrow and record them. One with the tune and one without. See if the phone video will pick up the sound I'm hearing so that you all can give me your opinions. Appreciate it everyone.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have experienced this twice myself. And IMO pre ignition like Ltngdrvr said. Both time while using TA gas since then switched back to chevron no more issues. Switch companies and see if it continues.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mine came a few days after getting gas, had it a day or so, and I went away on it's own before getting new gas, so I don't know what to think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts