1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cragar | Come Get Your Muscle

so for $8499.00

• 457 Horsepower at the rear wheels and 525 HP at the crank
• 493 ft. lbs of torque at the rear wheels and 567 ft. lbs of torque at the crank

with 8psi of boost

i have never seen this before. i didn't even know cragar made anything other than wheels.

i thought with a twin turbo you would see higher results. i don't know, but i can think of a couple of superchargers that would get you 450hp at the wheels for much cheaper.
man but 493 lbs of torque at the wheels??? that would be sick.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I would personally just go with a intercooled supercharger it would be a lot cheaper and you could get the same results if not more. I haven't heard anyone running this turbo system I think you would be much better off going with a supercharger company that is well known and if you have any problems you know you are going to get great customer service.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
All the Fastest Twin Turbo cars are running Precisions, and I'm talking Outlaw 10.5.. and those cars put down over 2000 RW!

·
Banned
822 Posts
All the Fastest Twin Turbo cars are running Precisions...
So..? Garret turbos have been considered good stuff since the '70s; maybe even earlier. Nothing wrong with them. They used to be known as AirResearch, if I'm not mistaken.

I think that the HP mentioned in that kit, is what the wastegates are set to make at a certain boost level. It's probably what they think is safe on a stock 3V 4.6, not what the turbos are capable of. No doubt the boost level can be run much higher.

Looks like a nice kit, to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
Seems like a crappy deal if you ask me. Theres no reason to have twin turbos on a stock 3V 4.6. These motors are maybe good for about 500whp and thats it. Usually twin turbo setups supply double digit pounds of boost.. These power gains could easily be had with any of the superchargers running 8psi. I would recommend any intercooled supercharger over this, at nearly a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My money is on turbos, if I had the money. Twins is not needed on a stock motor but generally they are a smaller turbo that spools up faster. They are capable of way more power but your block wont like the results. The only reason I would want to run twins is to keep the dual exhaust all the way out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I prefer single turbos. Our single 76mm should get the car into the low 9s with this build. Car ran 10 flat on fouled plugs and an engine fixing to let go.

·
Banned
822 Posts
...Twins is not needed on a stock motor but generally they are a smaller turbo that spools up faster...
That's the whole point of going with twins, as a big single can make the same boost. Small turbos = less lag & better driveability, but add more weight, more under-hood heat, & more plumbing mess.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'd feel safer with 500 turbo horse power than 450 Supercharger horse power. It takes 50 to 100 horse power just to turn the supercharge that's horse power that is loading the engine but doing nothing for your speed. Now that is assuming you pay the same price and the install is included. You can't beat the simplicity and expense of a SC.

G

·
Cragar | Come Get Your Muscle

so for $8499.00

• 457 Horsepower at the rear wheels and 525 HP at the crank
• 493 ft. lbs of torque at the rear wheels and 567 ft. lbs of torque at the crank

with 8psi of boost

i have never seen this before. i didn't even know cragar made anything other than wheels.

i thought with a twin turbo you would see higher results. i don't know, but i can think of a couple of superchargers that would get you 450hp at the wheels for much cheaper.
man but 493 lbs of torque at the wheels??? that would be sick.

what do you guys think?
Back in the day Cragar made superchargers and other performance parts too. Interesting to see them getting back into the market. I wonder who's actually behind it though, as I thought Cragar had gone bankrupt and their wheel division had been bought by someone?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
So..? Garret turbos have been considered good stuff since the '70s; maybe even earlier. Nothing wrong with them. They used to be known as AirResearch, if I'm not mistaken.
I agree nothing wrong with Garrets, Precision uses lots of their components on theirs, the record breaking 10.5 Outlaw cars like Tim Lynch and my friend Rob Wells run the Precision head units as well as many others! If you want a peak at their stuff here's a link...
NOTE: those times on the homepage are from 2006, Lynch has since gone as fast as 4.19 1/8th!:worship
Robs car is on his heels, his best is currently 4.26 and a freakin ridiculous 187.30 trap:D

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/952/cbs2847.jpg

http://www.precisionturbo.net/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.