Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, so I take my car out Saturday morning for a wash, come home, park it in the driveway, move it a couple of times up and down the driveway, third time I try to start it- nothing. Just keeps cranking and gives me nothing. So I start going through the drill-

-have a huge spark from both coil and spark plug wires.
-car start up with starting fluid (spray)
-check fuel shut off/inertia switch
-brand new fuel filter

-check to hear fuel pump turn on with key...and this is where it gets a bit funky-i've always heard the fuel pump whining constantly, not shutting off after 5-20 seconds. i started noticing a few times it wasnt turning on with the ignition, and as i fiddled with the fuel pump relay on the passenger side fenderwell, it would kick on. hmm...

-replaced fuel pump relay...
-power at fuel pump relay

-checked for fuel pressure at schrader valve. good.
-got a noid light and checked for injector pulse. NOTHING!
-12volts going to injectors
-checked TFI ignition module on distributor. good
-replaced PIP (hall effect pickup)
-replaced computer relay behind heater core.
-checked TPS voltage...can't get it to read above .27 volts all of a sudden.

Now my father started working on this while I was at work, and said the fuel pump wasn't turning on anymore after messing with it for a bit. Now when I replaced the fuel pump relay, there was still one good one on the ECC relay next to it, which we swapped briefly with the fuel pump one, and found that turned the fuel pump on right away- they do seem to be the exact same relay. But I think somewhere the good and bad one got mixed up, because I took the ECC relay off and put what we thought the bad one was on, and the fuel pump kicked on again right away- although that's when my battery decided 3 days of cranking its heart out was enough and died.

Now while I wait to recharge it, and have very small hopes of that one relay being the problem after trying everything under the sun, what do you guys think it sounds like is going on here? I was having a bit of bucking at part throttle for quite awhile before this happened- almost like the ignition or fuel was cutting out, but I've never had any problems getting it started or anything else. Thanks for your time and effort on this!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
sounds like dads right , when my pump was going out it did the same as you discribed not hearing it when you cut the switch on , it quit running on me had it towed home and it started right up, it did the same thing again and i let it sit for a few days and it started right up sounds like its time to replace the pump if you haven't upgraded yet mabye its time

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, definitely in need of a whole upgrade to the fuel system... I just know it's getting enough fuel pressure from the pump, even if the pump seems like its on its way out... but what's the deal with the injectors not getting a signal to squirt?!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
No signal to the injectors? Check the pickup inside the distributor. If it's malfunctioning, the engine will cut off without warning. It's also called the Hall Effect sensor and is what tells the computer what injector to fire next and for how long. Is the distributor stock? If it is, then it's probably the pickup.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was having a problem thats sounds like yours. I could not hear the 3 second prime of the fuel pump, some how I managed to turn the key while it was in gear. With the key turned in the crank postion the fuel pump came on, I put the car back in park and listened for the fuel pump, it primed while trying to crank, but would not stay on. It turned out to be my computer. I replaced the regulator, relat ignition switch and so on before I tested the computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.