Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stepdad has a 1996 3.8 auto and we've been trying to get it running for a while now. It's been sitting for a while but about a year ago it wouldn't start and just cranks. He said the battery was dead and went to jump it and then it just cranked. It's getting fuel for sure, but no spark. We've replaced the ignition coil and the pcm and nothing. We've also checked all the fuses and they're all good. Any advise would be very appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
No spark indicates an ignition problem. If an engine has a coil-on-plug ignition system with no plug wires, remove one of the coils from the spark plug and insert an old spark plug, a spark plug tester, or a screwdriver into the end of the coil. a

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No spark indicates an ignition problem. If an engine has a coil-on-plug ignition system with no plug wires, remove one of the coils from the spark plug and insert an old spark plug, a spark plug tester, or a screwdriver into the end of the coil. a
It doesn't have a coil on plug, it has an ignition could with individual plug wires. I will attach an imagine. This is one of the parts we've replaced

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We decided to check the crank position sensor. The connector had 1.59 volts to each side. Not sure if this is right or not. The sensor itself wasn't showing any ohms no matter what we did so we think thats out lead suspect

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
My stepdad has a 1996 3.8 auto and we've been trying to get it running for a while now. It's been sitting for a while but about a year ago it wouldn't start and just cranks. He said the battery was dead and went to jump it and then it just cranked. It's getting fuel for sure, but no spark. We've replaced the ignition coil and the pcm and nothing. We've also checked all the fuses and they're all good. Any advise would be very appreciated

Welcome to AFM!

Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details (referred to as your profile in the site rules).

We’re glad you’ve joined us, and hopefully you’ll get the answers you need soon. We have some really knowledgeable, talented, and helpful members here. Just hang in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts