Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cars been acting up recently, it has never started when warm but the other day it stalled for the first time ever, and then started up right after while it was warm.. I cleaned the idle air controler and it seemed to idle smoother ( had really low idle before ) later that day i started up the car, it took a few cranks as usual but it fired, then almost immediately died, so i started it up again but this time i gave it some gas so it wouldnt die. I put the car in drive and i was on my way, the whole way home (6km) i was afraid to stop at a stop light and let it idle because i knew it was going to die. So i made it almost home without stopping when the car stopped sparking the fuel, i hit the gas but nothing happened, i put the car in Neutral and it instantly died and coasted to a stop. I walked home & let it cool down, i went back a couple hours later but the car just cranked, the fuel pump primes it but theres no spark. I don't think it would be the ignition coil because the car still runs with only one, and i swapped the ICM earlier to a different one i had and that didnt change anything. Im thinking its the Crank Position Sensor.. Sound right? Any other suggestions ? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Crank sensor or a broken TIMING BELT!!! Peace Tom saluting-us-flag.gifsaluting-us-flag.gif

·
Registered
800 Posts
+1 to crank sensor. sounds exactly what i went thru when mine died a while back.

drac.gif -using that just because its awesome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I don't mean to hijack this thread but this is the most recent one that covers a topic similar to my problems. I have a 93 2.3 with the 8 plugs. My car begins to misfire badly around 3-4th gear. It also has an intermittent problem when it will have very long cranks before firing up. While cranking, the check engine light stays brightly lit. Does this mean it's automatically the crank sensor? or could it be related to an intermittent problem with the ICM? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
OK lets analyze this !!! The crank sensors do go bad and should be replaced at timing belt changes. Ford says this shoulde dun at 60K. Also remember the sensor has to be adjusted correctly. GAPPED according to ford specks. If the air gap is to big it wont work correctly and cause issues. So change the belt and sensor every 60K and or you will have issues. If possible use a Factory Ford part not an aftermarket one. Trust me on this!!! Peace Tom saluting-us-flag.gif

HERE WE GO THIS IS NEEDED AND SOME SOME SENSORS COME WITH THE TOOL RIGHT IN THE BOX. FORD DOES NOT INCLUDE THE TOOL AS FAR AS I KNOW. But for 17 bucks it is a no BRAINIER!!! laughdog.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Rotunda-Crankshaft-Postioner-Engine-303-354/dp/B009ZGO4HU

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much $$ does the crank position k
sensor cost ? And how long should this job take with all the right tools ?
Thanks.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thank you Maurice. Catch this example of a factory part issue. I had a customer with a PT cruiser that set a cam sensor code. I scanned the car and told him he needed a new one. He said he replaced it a month ago and the light came on again. So i told him to buy a new one from the dealer. So with that he went to advanced auto and bought another sensor. Installed it and brought the car to me to clear the code. I asked him if he bought a factory part. HE SAID NO!!! With that the check engine light came on again. With that he came back and asked me for advice. So i told him to buy a factory sensor. With that he brought the car to the dealer to have them program the new sensor to the ECM. They did!!! 3 blocks after leaving the dealer the check engine light came on again. With that he asked me to fix the car. I went to the dealer and bought a dealer sensor. Installed it cleared the codes and that was 6 months ago. If possible and i strongly suggest using factory sensors. They normally are made better and specific to the car. Some will argue but not JIMMY with the PT CRUISER. Peace Tom trainwreck.gif

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Tom The supplier you mention I will never buy from. I installed 4 of the "rebuilt" alternators all 4 failed with in 2 years of the first install. Now I have a used 3 G. Installed a "lifetime " radiator in Jeep. Replaced twice and present leaks and warranty is gone [Said they no long do lifetime on radiators, What]. 2 water pumps on Jeep. 3 starters on Mustang. Never, Never again. Maurice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts