Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have not had time to beat my head against wall as i have been building new coral for the dead horses ,since i have 2 dead ponys now!!!!did mass air conversion ,worked great for one month,then started acting up. would have to crank over for 30 or 43 seconds before she would catch. turn it right off and try it again it would fire right up,leave it for five minites and then your cranking again. lots of fuel and pressure no spark!!! have changed everything you can think off ,coil ,module,rotor ,cap,switch in steering column,and more,even riped out alarm system (4hrs).i was about to give up until i though i would try one more thing.this is where it gets confusing,the car with no spark is a 1987 lx 5.0 my sons is a 1989 lx 5.0 mass air... i switched complete distributers i put the 87 in the 89 and vise versa. first i tryed my car and it woulded fire. so i tryed my dist. in my sons car,it fired right up ran for 10 secs and then died , no spark. i freaked out ,now i killed both cars.so i switched the dist. back in original cars and they still both dead to this day.needless to say my son is not impressed. my youngest has an 88 hatch5.0 and an 89 rag 5.0 ya ya he told me to forget it

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Sounds like the timing is too advanced / retarded if it was working fine. Have you tried turning the distributor both ways to see if it helps at all?

I would get the ignition module checked out at a parts store. If not , it sounds like a messed up distributor.

Also, have you tried putting new spark plugs? If you try to crank it for a long time they will get covered with fuel and will never start.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Maybe something on the '87 is causing it to fry the TFI module(on the dizzy). I've heard of pickup coils going bad too. I'd test the module from the '89, sounds like the '87 might've killed it during the switcheroo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GhostDog 5.0 said:
Sounds like the timing is too advanced / retarded if it was working fine. Have you tried turning the distributor both ways to see if it helps at all?

I would get the ignition module checked out at a parts store. If not , it sounds like a messed up distributor.

Also, have you tried putting new spark plugs? If you try to crank it for a long time they will get covered with fuel and will never start.
hey there ghostdog ,yes i have tried a couple new ignition modules and still nothing it seems to be dead right back to the coil but thanks for the input

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meangreen92 said:
Maybe something on the '87 is causing it to fry the TFI module(on the dizzy). I've heard of pickup coils going bad too. I'd test the module from the '89, sounds like the '87 might've killed it during the switcheroo.
ya i dont know what to think anymore, but i think i have narrowed it down to a screwed up distributor . i think it must be burning something up because there was nothing wrong with the 89 until i switched the distributors, now i need to know how to test complete dist. thanks foe the help meangreen the blue

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sounds like a bad "stator" (pick-up coil) in the distributor. Problems are that the part cost almost $100. at a dealer and it is a real pain to install. If you are not experienced mechanically, I would recommend that you pay someone to do it for you. Another option, I found used distributors on ebay for $35 to $45. I have installed several of them with good success on 5.0 Mustangs and 5.0 Mercurys. (Same distributor-same ford part number).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.