Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the clutch pulled out to replace and want to replace the rear main seal while im in there. Autozone instructions say you need a Crankshaft Rear Oil Slinger Remover tool and the Ford website shows the Crankshaft Oil Slinger as part of this assembly, HAYNES MANUAL MENTIONS NOTHING OF THIS ! I have the bolts out of the seal retainer but cant seem to get it off. Is this what that tool is for and will it enable me to get the seal retainer plate off after it is removed? any help would be cool,
THANKSSSSSSSSSS :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
what are you working on Romeo or Windsor block & what year? I'm curious b/c there is rear main seal work in my future.

Good Luck.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, sorry, thought all that was listed. 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 SOHC V-8, not sure about the Romeo or Windsor block though

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are two bolts (if I remember correctly) that come up through the oil pan into that aluminum retainer. After all the bolts are out you can pry the retainer out (liquid gasket junk holds it in), and then just knock the old seal out with a hammer, and punch/screwdriver/etc.

When reinstalling the seal, lube the outside with a little bit of oil, and gently tap in in with a soft hammer if available. The sealant can be purchased at a local parts store. It's called silicon something-or-other.

Well, I hope this helps! Good luck with the stang!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know anything about the crankshaft rear oil slinger ? It is shown on the ford website parts diagram. Im thinking it is just inside that cover before I would get to the seal ? Autozone says you need a slinger removal tool ?
Thanks man,

·
Registered
32 Posts
I remember when I did mine they had all these weird names for parts, but I believe what they refer to as the "oil slinger" is actually the rear main seal.

I ordered the rear main seal from Ford, and they sent me the entire housing. I had to order the slinger to get the seal. So no, you don't need a special tool, just remove that housing.

Hope this sheds some light on the jacked-up parts naming system haha

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goin to RIP IT OUT ! probably just the silicone sealant holding it in there......We shall see

THANKS MAN

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
o i forgot, yes you have a rear main seal, and a slinger. the seal goes in first thien the slinger..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, the crankshaft rear seal retainer cover wont come off, I have all (8) bolts out and it slides out freely about 3/16 of an inch before it is stopped by something from behind the retainer cover. SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED TO GET THIS APART ? ? ? Haynes shows no special tools needed but they also dont mention or show the slinger, just unbolt and remove cover drive out old seal and install new. Autozone notes 3 special tools needed. Slinger remover and replacer and also the seal replacer. ughhhhhhh, nice day with no snow in Ohio and I cant this dumb thing off. Anyone actualy ever done this before or am I a pioneer ? LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and if anyone would happen to know why I cant start a new thread ? the button is no longer there that said "new thread" ? Do I need todelete old ones or what ? help ? Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol, figured out how to work the PC, still stuck on the Stang!

·
Registered
232 Posts
sounds like a battle you got on your hands. I wish I could post something useful, maybe others who have will shed more light. Although I did see one post that said to just pry it off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I got it off ! Just ended up using a couple of crow foot prybars and screwdriver wedged in different places and pryed it back and forth from a few different places around the edge of the seal retainer. It came off with the seal and slinger still on the crankshaft, a TINY spray of PB Blaster on the seam of the seal and 2 crows foot prybars and i shimmied it of the shaft without hitting the crankshaft...... Im happy !

Haynes doesnt mention the SLINGER at all but Ford shows it on their parts diagram, So im off to get my new seal and slinger and hopefully beck in the driver seat instead of the creeper, LOL.
Thanks guys ! !

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you getting your fly wheel surfaced for the new clutch install?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.