Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1966 6 cylinder mustang is almost ready for a new engine.

I have upgraded the brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, added posi traction and 8 inch rear.

I am looking around for a good engine and found this:

M-6007-X302 MUSTANG FORD RACING CRATE ENGINE 306 CUBIC INCH 340HP

Has any one used it? I would like to go with a 351, but cant find a good deal on one. The above ford racing 306 is a nice looking motor that might look better then an old used 351. With 340 horses it should be good enough for now.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was at one of our local car show about 3 weeks ago and there was a 67 mustang coupe with that motor and it sure looked sweet in that engine bay. The owner said he paid close to $3,500.00 for it from Ford Racing so the price at CJ Pony Parts is even better. It come with a warranty. I would strongly consider it if it was my 66 stang.:bigthumbsup

PS I'm sure that you will have to change to a oil pan and maybe the pump for one that works on the 66 stang.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I know a lot of people who used that engine. It gets excellent reviews for performance. Excellent price, and a warrenty! Hard to go wrong with that one.

Pay attention to the oil pan and water pump. Don't want to get the wrong one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, after looking around that 306 does look like a good deal.

****, nice 331 pics. Whats you car hp and torque at?

·
Registered
765 Posts
What kind of warranty on that 302? Looks like a good solid platform to build upon. Consider a good dual plane intake - air gap preferably, some headers, a good 600-650 CFM carb and an MSD or Pertronix set up and you are good to go. I paid about twice that but got a great turn-key, dyno-tuned 347 with all new parts and a completely forged bottom end from Smeding Performance. And a 3 year warranty. Puts a great big smile on my face every time I drive it:rollgrin:.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Smedding makes quality engines. So does Fordstrokers. I have a Fordstroker 347 in my 1970 now - very happy with it. But plan on going with the FordRacing in my 66 vert when time comes. Good price and enough HP for the 66.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.