Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 straight 6 with a 3 speed. I am looking at my options to convert this to a v8, what engine do you recommend. I want to have the cost of the engine at $3k or less. A guy I am using can put in a jasper 351 Windsor for that. It has a warrantee, and the guy mostly works on 60s and 70s cars.

What trans should I go with and what are the costs?

I am going to do brakes, wheels, and axles first then looking at the engine and other upgrades.

Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Does the $3k budget include the tranny? Do you want to keep the car stock by using period current components?, then you can only use the same 3spd or a toploader.

If you have the extra $ and don't care about having a modified car, then consider a T5.

This is of course you want to stay with a manual transmission. If considering going automatic, go for an AOD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crate engine

Yeah I want it to be modified. The $3k is just the engine.
I have heard the T5 is the way to go, whats that run cost wise?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I picked up my T5 from a seller on craigs list for 500. i got the bell housing and drive shaft to which is rare. another 500 to adapt it to my block (289) and what ever the drive shat cutting will cost. I do plan on a rebuild before installing hopefully this summer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts