Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 GT Coupe (non convertible) is acting up and I think its the BCM? But I'm not 100% sure.
Here are my symptoms:
1. Gauge cluster started tweaking out one day, I assumed it was battery, which died a week later of not even using the car (new battery of a year or so) - I replaced that.
2. Now my guage cluster still acts up, I get TPMS sensor failure, It looks like a christmas tree lighing up when I start it. Gauges flip out up and down, etc. I checked most of the fuses in the passenger fuse box and the under hood fuse box, they seem fine. HOWEVER I did notice water under the fuse box in engine bay...which is very concerning.
3. Turn signals and headlights do not power on despite being switched on and off. AC/heater does not work, hazard lights do not work, trunk does not open from key or from trunk button. Radio is ON but no lights, I can adjust volume from Sync steering controls but not form the radio itself. My windows roll up and down, brake lights work, TCS turns on and off with button, same button set that wont turn on the hazards and trunk actuation though.
4. Sometimes while driving random things will pop up, BRAKE light stays engaged, door open alert turns on.
5. Consistent issue is TPS failure showing no matter what.
6. I have tested alternator, starter and all are good, plus its a new battery after the last one got drained..

Has anyone experienced this? Im thinking to swap out the under engine fuse box but from what Ive read it is the BCM-2 or the control box in the trunk, can anyone attest to that?

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to get codes off all the modules. Cheapest thing is probably FORSCAN

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2540

https://forscan.org/download.html
I managed to pull the codes, and used FORSCAN software (great recommendation).

Here's what I'm seeing, I guess what connects all these modules together is the probably the root cause? That or the IPC is the cause?
I made alternating indents for ease of reading/tracking...

Thanks!

Code: U0155 - Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module​

Code: U016A - Lost Communication With Global Positioning System Module
Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module

Code: U0255 - Lost Communication With Front Display Interface Module
Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module​

Code: U0256 - Lost Communication With Front Controls Interface Module A
Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module

Code: C0049 - Brake Fluid Level
Additional Fault Symptom:
- Low Fluid Level
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
Module: Antilock braking system​

Code: U0253 - Lost Communication With Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Module: Restraint Control Module

Code: U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module
- Missing Message
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC
Module: Instrument Panel Control Module

Code: U0164 - Lost Communication With HVAC Control Module
- Missing Message

Code: B10DA - PATS Target Identifier
- Signal Invalid
Module: Instrument Panel Control Module​

Code: B1218 - Transmitter Identification Code
- Not Programmed

Vehicle Config Information:
Note: I censored VIN and mileage just for the hell of it.
Interface:
Port: COM4, 38400 kbps
Type: Bluetooth
Adapter: ELM327 v1.5
Min.delay: 35 ms ( Average)
Errors: None

Vehicle:
Model: Ford Mustang
Engine: TiVCT
Capacity: 5.0L
Year: 2014
Generation: 2014 MY
Fuel: Gasoline
Transmission gear: Manual
VIN: XXX

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Part number: DR3A-12A650-ACE
Strategy : DR3A-14C204-ACE
Hardware type: DR3A-12B684-BA
Total Distance: XXX

OBDII - On Board Diagnostic II

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: ER3T-14D212-AB (latest known: ER3T-14D212-AE)
Strategy : DL3T-14D205-AB

ABS - Antilock braking system
Part number: DR33-2C219-AD
Strategy : DR33-2D053-AD
Calibration: DR33-2D054-BBC

RCM - Restraint Control Module
Part number: DR33-14B321-AC
Strategy : DR33-14C028-AA
Calibration: DR33-14C098-AC

PSCM - Power Steering Control Module
Part number: CR33-3F964-AC
Strategy : CR33-14D003-BA

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Part number: ER33-10849-AE
Strategy : ER33-14C026-AD
Odometer: XXXX

OCS - Occupant Classification System Module
Part number: DR33-603B16-AA
Strategy : CR33-14F595-AC
Calibration: CR33-14F596-AC
Software version: v2 2010-07-02

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unfortunately, lost communication codes happen all the time on Fords.
It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with either module.

I bought an Autel bi-directional scanner and scanned our brand new 17 Escape, 2.0,
with 700 miles on it (and nothing wrong with it) had a couple lost comm codes.

I would make note of them and other codes, clear everything out and see what comes back up
just by turning on ign, then maybe move to what else comes up upon startup.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
If you still believe the BCM is damaged you might want to look around the BCM for moisture, indicative of a plugged plenum drain under the passenger side cowl. When those plug up you can get water intrusion in the cabin which can damage the BCM. If the water intrusion is recent it might not have an odor yet but if you peel the passenger carpet back you can feel it on the floor board.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you still believe the BCM is damaged you might want to look around the BCM for moisture, indicative of a plugged plenum drain under the passenger side cowl. When those plug up you can get water intrusion in the cabin which can damage the BCM. If the water intrusion is recent it might not have an odor yet but if you peel the passenger carpet back you can feel it on the floor board.
Is there a module in the trunk called BCM? I read on some mustang forums that the passenger module is the smart junction box (sjb) and the BCM is in the trunk?

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
I was also kinda wondering what is the "BCM" ; that is a new one on me

Reactions: David Young

·
Registered
36 Posts
Typically it is body control module.............

Reactions: David Young

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. Now we know thanks to OX1 :)

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Box under passenger kick panel. Plugged cowl vent or a leaking A-Pilar can cause water to damage it over time.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
Typically it is body control module.............
thanks, that was my guess based on the letters but I don't remember hearing it before

Box under passenger kick panel. Plugged cowl vent or a leaking A-Pilar can cause water to damage it over time.
I thought that was the "SJB" system junction box or something like that? I guess it doesn't really matter, sorry OP for minor tangent, just curious

Reactions: ONEZ ST

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
The box in the trunk near the spare tire location is also referred as a BCM. I think BCM-B or BCM-2. Its primary purpose is tail lights. But from the symptoms the OP listed it sounds like the module upfront in the passenger compartment.

But I'll be honest and tell you that me and electrical are like gas and flame. Not a good combo. I'll replace fuses and bulbs, boxes and batteries, but if it involves chasing wires forget it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just replaced the Smart Junction Box on my 05 because of water. It did the same as yours. Everything would go crazy and then fix its self, right up until all the lights went out at 8 pm in a snowstorm 700 miles from home. I had taken it out and cleaned and dried everything thought it was good until bang no lights at 50 mph in a very dark place with a couple of semis behind me. I put in a new one and everything is happy now and not nearly as scary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just replaced the Smart Junction Box on my 05 because of water. It did the same as yours. Everything would go crazy and then fix its self, right up until all the lights went out at 8 pm in a snowstorm 700 miles from home. I had taken it out and cleaned and dried everything thought it was good until bang no lights at 50 mph in a very dark place with a couple of semis behind me. I put in a new one and everything is happy now and not nearly as scary
I just replaced my SJB with an identical model number off eBay, but I think I need to program the unit now? When I turn the key I get no Power or anything, if you programmed yours do you have a manual?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone have any experience replacing the SJB?
I just installed a replacement from Ebay - the model number is identical, all the fuses are the same as well. After installing the box and re-attaching my battery, my headlights stay on, but when I put the key in ignition and turn to AC ON, my dash doesnt light up, radio wont start, no noise, nothing. I can hear some vacuum or whatever, its the normal sound you hear when you turn the key on most cars. But all the items attached to the SJB wont turn on. I can roll down the windows and pop the trunk, the key fobs wont work to unlock the doors though. My concern is the dash not lighting and the radio not starting. Do I need to program the SJB? I havent tried turning over the engine yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts