Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a gas mileage thread, but, I thought I would post this up as I've actually gotten PM's about the mileage of these cars.

I went from Laurel Maryland, to Philadelphia, back to Rockville Maryland, then farther south, down to Burkes County Virginia and back up to Tyson's Corner Virginia all on one tank of fuel.

I have video of the gauge, but, we all know the gauge is inaccurate. Plus youtube didn't pick up the audio from my phone.

I would say 75% of the driving was highway. However I went UNDER 75mph. (I wasn't in a rush). I did hit quite a bit of traffic in DC and Philadelphia. So its crazy to think I could have gotten better gas mileage.

I traveled 454 miles in my trip. I averaged 31mpg (doing the math) and my trip computer stated that I averaged 30.3 mpg.

I have a 6-speed, premium (read: HEAVY) w/ 3:31 gears and replacement mufflers.

I ran the AC the whole time, with the windows up. I think this car could possibly get 34-35mpg with a disciplined driver.

Thoughts?

Oh, and the car ran 13.80 in 99 degree heat. These cars are amazing.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Nice, I've driven that area and it can be congested, so those are great numbers. I've never gotten that good of mileage, probably because there are more foot hills out this way, & the average speed on the highway is a little higher.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not at all crazy gas mileage.

Slow down some and get even better.
If you saw the traffic in DC and Philly you'd see why I call it crazy lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have 3:31 gears and got 34mpgs doing about 74mph. I agree these cars are amazing!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
They're definitely amazing. :yup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
the transmissions arent too great though :yelwacko:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Md. to PA. to VA.? What are you running dope? haha, just kidding. Yea, hitting in the 30s mpg on long highway trips is common. I love these cars. Ever notice your attitude improves as your getting in the car, closing the door and firing it up? Best form of therapy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im getting 18.6 so I must be driving hard.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Im getting 18.6 so I must be driving hard.
Do you reset the mpg gauge often? Just a little aggressive driving can bring the average way down...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you reset the mpg gauge often? Just a little aggressive driving can bring the average way down...
I was thinking the same thing...:wavey I'm also very proud of my mileage,,,, I get around 27-28 mpg driving back & forth to work,,, mostly winding flat country roads and on the interstate I get 30-32 mpg.....but, if I drive aggressive, that number will fall down into the 23-25 area....:nono: still more fun than the law will allow!
I watch the mpg gauge in the car, but I also check each fill up with my calculator to be sure....

more smiles every day behind the wheel....

Ricky

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just got the car so my mpg is 16 for the way I have been driving. I live in the same area. I took the car up to skyline drive and it was AMAZING! I notice I get good gas mileage on the highway.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know there is a gas mileage thread, but, I thought I would post this up as I've actually gotten PM's about the mileage of these cars.

I went from Laurel Maryland, to Philadelphia, back to Rockville Maryland, then farther south, down to Burkes County Virginia and back up to Tyson's Corner Virginia all on one tank of fuel.

I have video of the gauge, but, we all know the gauge is inaccurate. Plus youtube didn't pick up the audio from my phone.

I would say 75% of the driving was highway. However I went UNDER 75mph. (I wasn't in a rush). I did hit quite a bit of traffic in DC and Philadelphia. So its crazy to think I could have gotten better gas mileage.

I traveled 454 miles in my trip. I averaged 31mpg (doing the math) and my trip computer stated that I averaged 30.3 mpg.

I have a 6-speed, premium (read: HEAVY) w/ 3:31 gears and replacement mufflers.

I ran the AC the whole time, with the windows up. I think this car could possibly get 34-35mpg with a disciplined driver.

Thoughts?

Oh, and the car ran 13.80 in 99 degree heat. These cars are amazing.
Apart from the mufflers, are you running stock? Not tunes, CAI, etc.? Also are you auto or manual? - they both have 6 gears now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just completed a road trip of 2500 miles with 95% of that being highway and averaged 35.67 mpg over the course of the whole trip. That is the hand calculated figure, computer displayed less. I did not have the a/c on the entire time, so that helped, but otherwise it was cruise control right at the posted speed limit. My brother has a 2010 Focus with half the horsepower and gets near the same fuel economy on the highway as I got on my trip!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
How about that! The same economy as a Focus with a much better looking and sporty/powerful car!

·
Registered
359 Posts
How much do you guys weigh? Did you have luggage in the car? What octane gas and from which stations are you using? Did you ride the azz ends of 18 wheelers?

Some of these MPG claims have me a bit incredulous, but let's say that you reset your meter while in 6th gear at highway speeds with a tailwind, driving around 55MPH or so, then yeah I can see some 35+MPG numbers maybe.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
How much do you guys weigh? Did you have luggage in the car? What octane gas and from which stations are you using? Did you ride the azz ends of 18 wheelers?

Some of these MPG claims have me a bit incredulous, but let's say that you reset your meter while in 6th gear at highway speeds with a tailwind, driving around 55MPH or so, then yeah I can see some 35+MPG numbers maybe.
Resetting the economy readout won't change the manually calculated fuel mileage...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...:wavey I'm also very proud of my mileage,,,, I get around 27-28 mpg driving back & forth to work,,, mostly winding flat country roads and on the interstate I get 30-32 mpg.....but, if I drive aggressive, that number will fall down into the 23-25 area....:nono: still more fun than the law will allow!
I watch the mpg gauge in the car, but I also check each fill up with my calculator to be sure....

more smiles every day behind the wheel....

Ricky
Lol Ricky I can see you enjoy the hell out of that car! Nothing but city roads around here :(

I have to use cruise control all the time to keep my mpg's up, otherwise they get down to about 19!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Resetting the economy readout won't change the manually calculated fuel mileage...
I guess you missed the rest of the satire in that sentence, but nice try.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts