Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have had the bama programmer for a while , and the R tune has felt like the most refined tune they offer, compared to the P and S tunes.

although for slow cruising they all feel kind of harsh if you have one of their latest tunes. I say this because in first gear it is set to shift at around 2.5k rpms (you can have them change that though but i like it because it offers sweet get up and go) so since i love using my car so much and i don't want to change anything on the tune , last night i just kept my car in second gear off stop light ext , then i would just shift into 3rd gear and i just kept it there and it was smooooooth sailing.

i don't think this is bad for the trans but anyone can chime in who may have more experience.

·
Registered
589 Posts
ok so i have had the bama programmer for a while , and the R tune has felt like the most refined tune they offer, compared to the P and S tunes.

although for slow cruising they all feel kind of harsh if you have one of their latest tunes. I say this because in first gear it is set to shift at around 2.5k rpms (you can have them change that though but i like it because it offers sweet get up and go) so since i love using my car so much and i don't want to change anything on the tune , last night i just kept my car in second gear off stop light ext , then i would just shift into 3rd gear and i just kept it there and it was smooooooth sailing.

i don't think this is bad for the trans but anyone can chime in who may have more experience.
I mostly run the 87S tune and performs just like yours, just loose a little on top end which is not a biggie for me. I love it also.
I have read on this site before that manually shifting the auto if not great for it, think it was because of trans oil heat up and un-necessary strain on the trans, but it is fun. Maybe other can chime in too.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
isn't there that hybrid tune..which is the race tune with some street characteristics to make the ride alil smoother etc..maybe that would be a good option?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
isn't there that hybrid tune..which is the race tune with some street characteristics to make the ride alil smoother etc..maybe that would be a good option?
Yes, It's a great tune, but it's not the end all - be all solution. I tried to convince myself I could live with it, but the lurching and jerking during normal driving is too much. Especially when you have passengers. For the Hybrid tune, I asked Bama to turn my shift pressure back to stock. The race tune is still intact if I ever need the tire chirping shifts.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yes, It's a great tune, but it's not the end all - be all solution. I tried to convince myself I could live with it, but the lurching and jerking during normal driving is too much. Especially when you have passengers. For the Hybrid tune, I asked Bama to turn my shift pressure back to stock. The race tune is still intact if I ever need the tire chirping shifts.
oh so theres still that jerking even with the hybrid tune..I thought was the solution to it? If not what really seperates the race tune from the hybrid tune?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
oh so theres still that jerking even with the hybrid tune..I thought was the solution to it? If not what really seperates the race tune from the hybrid tune?
Same as you said in an earlier post. The bottom end parameters of the Street tune combined with the top end of the Race tune.

I think it has to do with altering the torque curve and pulling/advancing timing. The shift pressure is still the same through out.

As I understand it, the differences in increases are (#'s are speculation and only for illustrative purposes)

Street: 1-3k rpm (Where the 3.7 is weak.)
Performance: 3-5k rpm
Race: 5 - 7.5k rpm (Where the 3.7 shines.)
Hybrid 1-3k rpm, 5-7.5k rpm

·
Registered
4,254 Posts

Some people say manually shifting automatics is bad, some say it's not.

The car comes with built-in safety measures to prevent a missed-downshift and prevent over-rev from forgetting to shift, but when shifting manually, does it actually hurt it? I'm not too sure it's helping it, because you are taking something that has set shift points and either extending them or shortening them by manually changing the gear, not to mention you are likely heating up the ATF to a good temperature.

Personally, I have several friends who hurt automatic Audi/VW/Honda/Subaru transmissions by constantly driving them around like a manual. I told them if you wanted to manually change gears, you might as well have gotten a manual car.

The extra gears are really only there to help slow you down in rain or slipper conditions, if necessary, or to get you started in a low-traction situation(i.e. starting in 3rd gear, instead of first to get moving in the snow).

Some people do it and have no problems, but everyone I know that did it regularly had problems. Granted, these were not on Mustangs, but I would imagine the same results would creep into play if consistently done in a Mustang.

I do, however, shift to neutral or park at stop lights/stop signs in my automatic transmission-equipped rental car to help save on gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts