Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 66' for the past week had a terrible idle where it would go rough till it died, while the voltage meter went D to C like crazy. Now it wont even crank, the alternator is original, could that be the problem? Ive replaced the ignition, regulator, and solenoid recently.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Does the solenoid make a clicking noise when you try to start it? Get a voltmeter and check to see how many volts your battery has. If it's low, than the original alternator has mostly likely kicked the bucket.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh warning dont buy the cheapest solenoid that cjpony sells, died in a week. Thanks for the help:winks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh warning dont buy the cheapest solenoid that cjpony sells, died in a week. Thanks for the help:winks
For the price, I give my business to the local parts shops. So far they have been very competitive to online prices when they can get the parts. Specialty parts obviously I have to go where I can find them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done that for many parts, but i thought i couldnt beat the 15 dollar solenoid lol...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
So the car is running well now? Just a tid bit of advice.. Use Autozone, and get one of their rewards cards (its free). They have always been a big help to me and had the parts I needed (and I have a 6 cylinder, so just imagine what they have for the V8's), and the more you spend with them, the more rewards points you get, which you can use to buy stuff free.

P.S. I just saw your in Cape Coral. lol Most of my American family lives in Cape Coral. :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
...while the voltage meter went D to C like crazy...
I assume you meant the factory ammeter? That sounds to me like a short in the wiring somewhere. That could be any number of places and difficult to diagnose remotely. As several other threads here have mentioned, the '66 ammeter needle doesn't move much if and when it even works. If yours was flopping about like crazy there was definitely something unusual going on. I doubt its anything directly related to the regulator and/or alternator except possibly a short in their wiring.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats crazy that you saw me, small world!:winks but yes the amps was result of the solenoid

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean have family here* lol

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Glad that it all worked out. I'll be down there at Christmas. I don't know if I'm driving the 'stang or flying down yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts