Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the orginal am radio in my 65, I am looking at buying one of the radios that custom autosound makes, but I have read a lot of bad things about their radios, that they break after a year and are very poor quality. The one i was looking at buying is the usa-230 $160 but I don't want to buy something that is gonna break... and their radios are ugly compared to the orginal look of the am radio. Has anyone installed a normal Cd deck into the glove box? How do you mount it? Is their a way to attach it to the cardboard glove box liner?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have had Custom Autosounds USA-6 with a trunk mounted 10 disk CD changer for about 2 years and I haven't had any problems, and I use my car as a daily driver and I always have the radio on. The USA-6 isn't bad looking, especially when its off. They designed it so that when it's off it looks like a normal dial radio. I like it, it has 15 FM presets, 10 AM presets, ipod/mp3 input, and a CD changer.

If you still don't want a Custom Autosound and want a different radio, then I have never seen them in the glovebox. I have seen people mount them under the dash using the holes that all the dashes had to mount the underdash A/C.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Custom Autosound stereo with the 6 disc changer which is the old style. The new one has the 10 disc changer and mine still works just fine. I like the classic look compared to the look of new car stereos. They have the mp3 player connection which I will probably check out next.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has anyone installed a normal Cd deck into the glove box? How do you mount it? Is their a way to attach it to the cardboard glove box liner?
To do this you would have to delete the glove box compartment, because the cardboard can't support the weight. Best thing to do is to cut out a piece of plywood and mount it behind the opening, throw some carpet that matches the interior on it and bob's your uncle. I've seen this done on many cars, looks really nice, and nobody will be temped to steal your stuff because it's hidden. And, if you feel like being really inventive you can keep your stock radio installed and usable, just have to jump some wires together.

If you go this route I recommend getting a head unit that has a remote.

EDIT: or do it this way!

Found here. If you look at the second to last post you will see what I was talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.