Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day all...after surfing the forums in here for a few days I wanted to post a question up to all.

First off, I'm working with a 2003 GT, I want to remove the front grill, which has become a pain with those plastic screws...and insert an aluminum polished MESH grille.

I am running into a few problems. First, the grille I am looking for seems to be non-existent...I just want a nice polish aluminum girll with the pony on the front (pony is optional, but NOT BILLET!

If anyone knows of a mesh one, pleaseee post a link....

Meanwhile my mind has been pondering how to create such a thing, found some mesh (see here for example of material to be used: Aluminum Mesh C 12 x 48 by AutoDirectSave Grilles)

But the next obstacle would be how to install this materil without scratching the piant/securing it properly??? I'm lost on that....

I readily admit I am a Grade A Novice, but I really just want the stang to 'pop' a bit....any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I'd check a serious hardware store. The first thing that comes to mind is the aluminum mesh to cover your gutters with. Comes in a roll(usually). Use some flat stock and run your bolts through it to sandwich it. Then buy whatever ornament you like to fasten it to it. I would use all stainless steel fasteners. They never rust.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is what the automotive worls turns to when you look for custom grilles, all this mesh insert ********. A custom grille should be an actuall replacement grille such as those still available for trucks. or like the many bumper covers available for mustangs. Though I could be wrong. The S-197 has actual grilles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what the automotive worls turns to when you look for custom grilles, all this mesh insert ********. A custom grille should be an actuall replacement grille such as those still available for trucks. or like the many bumper covers available for mustangs. Though I could be wrong. The S-197 has actual grilles.

What are you suppose to go with then, that stupid Billet crap, or a grille delete??? The 99-04 versions have nothing in the market for good grilles that look a lil different.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I'm with you 'casa.That's what keeps this hobby expressionistic. If you don't like what someone else has done....keep it to yourself. I deal with negative people ALL DAY.If you look at the grill for my '65 it looks like the expanded metal we we're talking about. That's why I used it for the radiator grill for my R-model valance. Took and sprayed it black and it keeps the rocks out and looks finished.

·
Registered
645 Posts
No, I wasnt trying to flame you for your idea. Nor was I bitching about your choice. There aint much in grilles for mustangs but think about all those custom grilles you can get for your pickup, that are flames, vents, slots expanded metal, phantom, different oem selections. Why cant most cars be this way. ANother example would be the S-197 how theres many a variety of grille for it that are non-oem. Im not a big fan of chrome or similar finishes either. A Mustang is a car to be customized so why cant there be more of a selection.

I have an idea of how to mount that mesh: Take off your bumper cover to mount it behind, just cut it slightly larger by an inch or two. Use like a plastic welder or solder gun to make tabs to put screws in. I tried to think of multiple ways but I couldnt come up with anything other than this or JB weld.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No, I wasnt trying to flame you for your idea. Nor was I bitching about your choice. There aint much in grilles for mustangs but think about all those custom grilles you can get for your pickup, that are flames, vents, slots expanded metal, phantom, different oem selections. Why cant most cars be this way. ANother example would be the S-197 how theres many a variety of grille for it that are non-oem. Im not a big fan of chrome or similar finishes either. A Mustang is a car to be customized so why cant there be more of a selection.

I have an idea of how to mount that mesh: Take off your bumper cover to mount it behind, just cut it slightly larger by an inch or two. Use like a plastic welder or solder gun to make tabs to put screws in. I tried to think of multiple ways but I couldnt come up with anything other than this or JB weld.
Simple.

Not everyone wants to make custom grilles for a living, you have to accept that. If you have a problem with it do something about it, why don't you make custom grilles how you like them. So you and everyone who thinks similar to you is happy. You can't be mad about something you can't control... existing grille companies won't change their products based off your opinion. Just accept what is out there and I am sure what your talking about already exists just don't be lazy and find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the idea J. Rhap. I'm right there with you on the cheesy grilles that are out there. Jdom has a good idea....I mean if you could create custom girlles, with custom ideas, and keep them cost effective, that could be a real business!!

Instead of having to go to American Muscle, MRC, and the like to look for a matching grille to complement a ground kit or side scoop kit, etc.

P.S. I went to MW Speedshop and found a grill I really liked. They also had side and hood scoop inserts, and valance mesh...

Only problem, they discontinued the grille!!!

If it's discontinued (to everyone out there) take it off your WEBSITE!:bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.