1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SportsPix said:
Hi Hal900x,
SportsPix said:

I'm going to have a look at making a sheeet metal duct for my Steeda CAI and vent it up in the fender opening to feed the sheet metal housing for the CAI. I'll probably do the same for the brake ducts and fab the backing plates too once the kids are back in school. I have to finish enclosing my garage, doing the drywall and cabinets after I install my new Tokico D Spec struts and dampers to get the Eibach ProKit springs under control.

Oh, BTW, HTH = Hope This Helps.

Cheers/Chip

The above quote was taken from this thread: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45914

Interesting that you mention this, because I was poking at the idea of doing the same, using the tubing similar to the one used for a clothes-dryer-ventitation application. I read or heard someone else mention this idea somewhere, and I started poking around down there (underneath the filter box).

What I haven't really figured out is the tube diameter, and whether an aftermarket lower-grill insert, like the Steeda front splitter would be helpful, along with a fabricated intake inlet for the tubing to properly channel the airflow into the tube.

I mention channeling because I'm concerned that a straight-cut tube opening (on the lower grill side) may not route as much airflow as one that was wider at its mouth, concave in design... thoughts?

~Moses

G

·
I believe that getting "colder" air into a N/A filter is better (more denser MASS air= HP), the basic mechanism of a N/A engine 's ability to "suck" in air RATE/ MASS is limited by it's design (piston size, etc.).

Even if you put a filter intake 5 feet atop yr car, it will get to a max mass intake based on the engine dynamics.
That is why people "force induction" mod the engines. To FORCE the air at elevated PSI values into the intakes. A CAI N/A engine will have a maximum efficiency and then hit the flat top of curve.

That said, colder/ fresher air is definitly worth discussing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porting some air up from the lower valance should be slightly colder than the air that's getting into the C&L filter enclosure now, but how much so, and to what degree (if any) it will improve *oxygen* (not just air) flow into the engine, is the engineering question of the day.

I understand your point about maximum airflow. After all, the C&L induction systems (and similar setups) basically just remove the *restrictions* imposed by the stock setup, and after that point, there wouldn't be any statistical difference unless you add forced induction. (Not addressing the issue of exhaust restrictions on a N/A engine with modified induction setup).

eh?

~MO

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Take out the fogs and put in some dual funnels wyed to the MAF and striaght in... like the PMAS but better!! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts