Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to make a custom y-pipe without triggering check engine lights and so on. Because right now i have the magnaflow system that hooks up to the the existing y-pipe. Well would it be possible to remove a set of catalytics or put higher flowing ones in (i have to have enough to pass emissions) without making it sound like a tin can or screwing up a bunch of other things. I imagine a muffler shop would charge a decent amount as well to make something like this? Too bad someone doesn't make a higher flowing y-pipe, course so many people just run true duals.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
StangLx50 said:
Is it possible to make a custom y-pipe without triggering check engine lights and so on. Because right now i have the magnaflow system that hooks up to the the existing y-pipe. Well would it be possible to remove a set of catalytics or put higher flowing ones in (i have to have enough to pass emissions) without making it sound like a tin can or screwing up a bunch of other things. I imagine a muffler shop would charge a decent amount as well to make something like this? Too bad someone doesn't make a higher flowing y-pipe, course so many people just run true duals.
yeah, but the cats aren't restrictive at all. just switching to a dual can give you too much flow, and kill your low end hp/tq.

If you want cheap flow, the OEM unit is fine. Just get a freer flowing muffler.

That's where the big restriction is, especially on a mainly stock vehicle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, guess i'll just stick with the exhaust i have no, i like the magnaflows and spend money elsewhere, just another quick ques coyote, i noticed in your mods you list an auto like mine, why no upgrades there? Or are they still to come. I'm always interested in ways to improve that.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
StangLx50 said:
Thanks for the response, guess i'll just stick with the exhaust i have no, i like the magnaflows and spend money elsewhere, just another quick ques coyote, i noticed in your mods you list an auto like mine, why no upgrades there? Or are they still to come. I'm always interested in ways to improve that.
I do things a little differently than a lot of folks -Experience, I reckon. -That and buying other people's mistakes for cheap, and then fixing them. I've had SEVERAL good cars that started out as someone else's project that got away from them. My '68 was bought for 1700 dollars. I put in 5,000, and started getting offers for 12,000 (& that was 16 years ago! it'd be 18-20,000 in todays dollars).

For the first build, I increase the eficiency, then on rebuild, when the car's already open, I start doing internal stuff, cams, valves, etc. I've already got 90,000 miles on the car, so I'm starting to buy intakes, heads, etc. for porting.

I've got a chip, but it's currently lost in the mail that changes the shift pattern. Other than that, I'm not going to do anything internally, until I've put together the package I want. I might throw on a cooler, but that's it, until I redo the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.