Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first things first: I'm retarded.

So the 99 mustang and I went for a bit of a bumpy ride in the rain a couple days ago and I'm kinda trouble shooting to eliminate a couple basic possibilities before tossing the car to the mechanic$

First of all I want to eliminate the chance that my emergency fuel shut off isn't my culprit(although I wish it could be!) So when AAA came to tow me out I had mumbled about the possibility it was just the kill-switch. So I walked to a dry spot and called a friend to have come get me while I was under the impression he was prepping my car for towing. I came back and the guy was using a screwdriver and jacking around with the kill switch. I've never tampered with the switch before and therefore am unaware of what position the sucker should be in. My Haynes book has Nothing about the kill switch in it and I was hoping Somebody could enlighten me on the possibility of the kill switch simply being in the wrong position, etc. Or if anybody knows of a diagram somewhere ... my car came without a manual and I have been able to rely on the haynes guide for the most part :/

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
On my '92, it is a button which pops up upon impact. You simply push it back down till it clicks and stays down on its own.
The purpose of that switch is to prevent the disasters caused by a high pressure fuel leak.
If you have to push your's down as described, don't start it right away. Instead, cycle the key (every 2 seconds) between "off" and "run" a few times. Then get out and check under the car (front to rear) and under the hood for leaks. If no leaks, go ahead and start it and immediately recheck for leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kill switch

I know on the older fords (86-89) there was a box like thing in the trunk area on the rightside the did the samething. With that it had to be reset before the fuel pump would run again. You may want to look there.

G

·
4D Racing said:
I know on the older fords (86-89) there was a box like thing in the trunk area on the rightside the did the samething. With that it had to be reset before the fuel pump would run again. You may want to look there.
That's what they're talking about. His would be on the drivers side of the trunk behind the carpet though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.