Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i was messing around with some friends and i was in 3rd gear at a bout 3500-4000 rpm when my car lost all power and threw the code for cylinder 5 misfire. im thinking maybe a coil pack or sparkplug but im not sure.. Mods are longtube headers, bbk throttle body, c&l racer intake, o/r x, and at the time i had a 93 race tune from bama on. Any help?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Well, a misfire in one cylinder wouldn't cause you to lose all power but try switching the #5 coil pack with another and see if the code follows as a first step.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad. It didn't lose all power i just heard it. and let off. then the light went out. i waited a few minutes and try to get it to do it again and it did. then the light came back on. i cleared the code and swap it with another the #3 so will see if it happens again.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
just make sure to fix/change one thing at a time so you can pin-point the exact issue. Is it normal under normal driving circumstances?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rpm was a little higher than normal circumstances it was at between 3500 and 4000 rpm when it happened. other that its fine.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Do all cars have coil packs?

I just went through this in my old tribute. The car started running really rough, and the car would shake pretty good and the car would run and drive but quite roughly since the cylinder wasn't firing. If the code stays off for a while and goes and comes intermittantly, it may not be a coil cuz ours def stayed on and wouldnt go off.

If you take it to a decent garage, they can tell within a few minutes if a cyl isn't firing at all or just misfiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Before you go through all the headache of trying to figure this out, there is a very simple thing you can check which will throw some off the wall codes and cause some very rough acceleration, Pull both VCT Solenoids and check the tiny screen windows for obstructions or tears in the screens.

This happened to me and after 1 1/2 months pulling switching and changing coil packs spark plugs and going from one mechanic to the next that had no idea what to do I finally tried pulling the VCT's and sure enough the driver side had a pen sized hole in the top screen, I ordered a new set from Ford and put them in. All codes cleared and the car runs better than it did before.

Just a thought and something to try. If this is whats wrong the only bad news is that they are expensive the set cost me a lttle over 300

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i changed the coil pack for #5 and it fixed the problem. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys im having this exact same problem. i Just switched coil 5 with 8 and still says "coil 5 misfire" would this be like a problem with that VCT solenoid problem 1shot1hit is talking about?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts