Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post on this website, just so you know. I own a 96 Mustang V6 auto with 207,000 miles. For 8 months, my check engine light has been going on and off. The first few times it was a "cylinder 2 to misfire" error. So I replaced the spark plugs. Then a "cylinder 4 to misfire" error came up, so I used fuel injector cleaner, seafoam, and complete fuel system cleaner, also I replaced the spark plug wires about 200 miles ago. The check engine light came on again with the error for both cylinders. What's the next step?

·
Registered
144 Posts
have you replaced the igintion coil yet cause that could cause no spark to the plugs so i would get it tested at the least just to rule it out

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
it wouldnt be the coil since its not affecting cylinders 6 and 3 (the paired cylinder of 2 and 4) respectively... did you check the spark plugs for any material on the plugs?(oil, gas, carbon buildup?)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the coil last night, so I'll give it a week to see if the problem goes away...i'll be posting again if it comes back. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
i apologize if im doing this wrong i have a 1996 mustang that also has a misfire only on #1 or #6 i have changed everything it seems it has a rough idle but the plugs are burning great and the cyl psi is perfect on all i pulled the spout for adjusting the timing and it didnt alter a thing when plugged in or not what could be the issue it can idle and pop a code and its always one or the other and sometimes both goes great at higher rpm but stumbles with rough idle any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this post is very old. haha. but the guy i sold my car to said he would try the oxygen sensors. try those and see. he used to call me every time he had a question about the car for a month! he never called and asked about a misfire once he replaced those.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
An "spout" on a 96. I would like to see that.

Advice. On a coil pack car, anytime two unpaired cylinders are misfiring especially after replacing the plug wires, double check the routing. Want to make sure that #1 and #6 are not swapped at the coil pack. Which if you look at the coil pack diagram, would be very easy to do.

If swapped, there would be spark at both wires. However, it would be at the wrong time.

If you want copies of Ford service manuals, wiring diagrams, and PCM manuals, I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Here's the diagram for the V6 coil pack. Again, check the spark plug wires at the coil pack for correct routing.

On the V6, the actual routing of the wires is especailly important. Use all factory stand-offs and looms. Do not let the spark plug wires touch any metal parts.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts