Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me how reliable the dagenham 4 speed was? My boss has one that he said I could have (none of our customers want a 6 cylinder, they want a v8 with C4 or toploader). It is complete including clutch, bell housing, shifter, linkage, z bar, driveshaft, and I already have the pedals.

I've been planning on a 4 speed conversion for a while now, and slowly trying to gather parts, but this is all the parts at once.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I'd get a toploader...I believe that is the one with the non synchro 1st, it's very light duty...if it's free and for your 6, it's a good deal

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Can I live without syncro on a gear that I'll spend most of my time in because I live in Pittsburgh? :scratchchin I like the fact that it's free, but I HATE double clutching. I had to for every gear on my old boss's 1929 Model A roadster. And catching every red light or getting cut off by some idiot means I'd have to start through the gears all over again.

I'll definately have to think about it. They both have their ups and downs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've read that the Dagenham is a light duty 4-speed. Very similar to the 3:03 3-speed. I'm opting to change my Sprint's 3-speed to a C4 automatic. Similar to what Terry did, I guess. Don't have to worry about shifting in city traffic then.
If you do get the Dagenham, perhaps you can pass on some of the details about this rather rare option. I'd like to learn more about it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The Dagenham 4 speed is VERY light duty. It was put behind the 170 and 200 cubic inch six cylinder cars. As long as you treated it with a great deal of respect it would live hapily behind those engines. If you hotrodded the shifts or tried to put it behind a V8 you just wasted the transmission. The 303 is a LOT stronger than the baby 4 speed.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm gonna go with the dagenham. It's free, and it gives me a manual transmission. Now I just have to figure out what speedometer gear I need and how do I attach my back up lights with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As far as the speed-o-gear is concerned, you can likely use the same gear out of your current transmission. (Or if you don't want to remove it, you can check the color code and buy the matching version for your Dagenham.)

The speed-o-gear is a function of the rear end ratio and/or the tire size. If you haven't changed the rear end ratio, and the tire diameter is close to the original 25.3", then you can likely use the same color speed-o-gear.

I have a more detailed explanation at:
Mustang Codex: Speed-O-Gear

I can't help you with the back-up lights. Please post pictures of your Dagenham if you can.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's still at work, my boss is gathering all the parts. But apparently the shift box is the same as the t-10, and toploader box's, just the linkage is different.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oops, my bad. That box in the toploader picture is a hurst shifter, they didn't come stock with a hurst though. And the dagenham shift box is the same as the T10 shift box, not the toploader. At least that's what this website says. http://www.kevinstang.com/fordshift.htm

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've read that finding parts for the Dagenham is rather difficult. Sure would be nice if some were shared with the T-10 as your link suggests.

Didn't you once say that you were descendent from England? Do you have any contacts there? I believe the Dagenham was used allot in the Cortina. May also be a source for parts?

I'm also a British descendent. Dad was born in Bolton and moved to the States with my grandparents when he was 1-1/2.

Did you see the 5-page tech article here:
Dagenham 4 speed Transmission on 1960s Ford and Mercury Models, from Clymer Publications maintenance and repair handbooks for Ford 1960-64

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Dagenham transmission, if used as it should be, is a fine machine. Don't use it behind a V8. It won't serve long and well because that isn't what it was built for. It was meant to serve a straight 6, 170 or 200 ci. Use it as the engineers intended and it is all the strength you need. So if you are building a car that respects the time and the era, but the Dagenham in. There are few of them left, but the parts can still be found. It is rare and correct for the car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BU switch

Well, I'm gonna go with the dagenham. It's free, and it gives me a manual transmission. Now I just have to figure out what speedometer gear I need and how do I attach my back up lights with it.
if you can bend and drill sheet metal make a bracket to hold a switch where it will be hit by the reverse linkage. you might reuse the one you have now. you can use a brake light switch or if the original switch provided a ground a door jam switch will work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts