Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news and bad news! The good news is...I thought my wife how to drive a stick. Bad news is, when she pulled the garage inside the garage, she accidentally damaged the bumper hitting the wall. I guess she misjudged how close she was to the wall before straightening out the car. I feel responsible because I should've helped her out and spotted her but instead I stayed inside the car when it happened. I was just so proud of her for learning how to drive a stick so fast! lol
Anyways, I'm not too worried it doesn't look too bad at all. There are no dents at all, only paint damage. I've attached pictures of the damage so that I can ask you guys what you think I should do? I remember from last time I was at Autozone they have Oxford White paint. Should I fix it myself? Or take it to a professional?

What would you do and how much do you think this will cost me to repair if I take it to a professional?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and advice. I love this forum!

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I'm not real big on Autozone type touch up paints......

IMHO, this is a very easy repair, but I would go to a local auto paint supplier and they can sell you a very good quality spray can primer and they can mix up the exact paint (with hardner) in a spray can for you as well. Pull the bumper cover, using denatured alcohol (oil free available at any hardware store), wipe it down to remove all wax, etc, give it a surface sand (scotchbright type pad should work fine), and primer and paint (of course fathering the edge where the scrape is). Although you can use tough-up paint (withing feathering) to repair it, by the time you spend all that time sanding, polishing, etc.,..it's just a whole lot faster, easier, etc. especially with a removal panel like that, to just pull it and spray the whole thing.

Reactions: n1x1n

·
Registered
473 Posts
First thing you're going to want to do is file for divorce. If no prenup has been established - get a good friend to "steal" all your valuables before said divorce. Good luck.
On a serious note - that's pretty miraculous there isn't a dent. It's so small that touch up paint with a thin brush would do the trick. Or just spend a couple hundred at a body shop.

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
How to fix this will vary from person to person. For me at least it would be much easier to say if this was a older Mustang as I would let it go and it wouldn't bother me as much and simple paint touch up pen/brush and I would be done. However if it were me and since this is a literally brand new car I would probably see how much it would cost a shop to do it. My guess would between $200-400 and they will have it looking brand new again.

Oh to add. I wouldn't use a spray can on a area like this or new car for that matter. It never comes out looking just right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thing you're going to want to do is file for divorce. If no prenup has been established - get a good friend to "steal" all your valuables before said divorce. Good luck.
Absolutely hilarious!! I was drinking coffee when I read this and I almost choked to death so thanks a lot, the wife almost won thanks to your joke... :grin:

Now back on topic, I cannot thank you guys enough for your input and let me tell you, you guys know your stuff! I called around body shops just to see what they would quote me, and they've all said on average it would cost along $200. Like I said, you guys know your stuff.
Fortunately, the manager of the body shop closest to me is a fellow Veteran of the United States Army just like me, and after quoting me the $200 fix and find out I was a Veteran myself, he said he would do it for just $100 and include a lifetime warranty. He also said that his body shop is so good at what they do, that this side of the bumper would look better than the other side once they are done. They won't be able to start working on Scarlett (the name I gave my car hehe) until tomorrow, and he said I can have the car back brand new looking on Thursday morning.

You know I've had a lot of great things happen to me since I served our beloved country, and to know that fellow battle buddies still got my back, it's a good feeling. Thank you so much for all your input guys. I will post pictures of Scarlett when I pick her up on Thursday. :grin: :wink:

Reactions: Out1aw

·
Registered
473 Posts
Absolutely hilarious!! I was drinking coffee when I read this and I almost choked to death so thanks a lot, the wife almost won thanks to your joke... :grin:

Now back on topic, I cannot thank you guys enough for your input and let me tell you, you guys know your stuff! I called around body shops just to see what they would quote me, and they've all said on average it would cost along $200. Like I said, you guys know your stuff.
Fortunately, the manager of the body shop closest to me is a fellow Veteran of the United States Army just like me, and after quoting me the $200 fix and find out I was a Veteran myself, he said he would do it for just $100 and include a lifetime warranty. He also said that his body shop is so good at what they do, that this side of the bumper would look better than the other side once they are done. They won't be able to start working on Scarlett (the name I gave my car hehe) until tomorrow, and he said I can have the car back brand new looking on Thursday morning.

You know I've had a lot of great things happen to me since I served our beloved country, and to know that fellow battle buddies still got my back, it's a good feeling. Thank you so much for all your input guys. I will post pictures of Scarlett when I pick her up on Thursday. :grin: :wink:
Hey well I'm glad you can appreciate my humor! Believe it or not it's lost on most people :shrug
Congrats on teaching your wife to drive a manual so fast! She's definitely a keeper.
That's a great price! $100 is totally worth it. Thanks for you service my man! I was interested in serving for a while, but I got myself into some trouble with the law at 18 which pretty much disqualifies me from serving unless WW3 breaks out.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Love your story. Thanks for your service to our country.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey well I'm glad you can appreciate my humor! Believe it or not it's lost on most people :shrug
Congrats on teaching your wife to drive a manual so fast! She's definitely a keeper.
That's a great price! $100 is totally worth it. Thanks for you service my man! I was interested in serving for a while, but I got myself into some trouble with the law at 18 which pretty much disqualifies me from serving unless WW3 breaks out.
Your humor is hilarious my friend! It was fairly easy for my wife to learn how to drive a stick because she has a Harley so she understood the concept of the clutch etc... Just getting use to with her foot lol
Oh and as far as you serving my friend, if Donald Trump gets elected you might have that chance! hahaha

Love your story. Thanks for your service to our country.
Thank you very much. :grin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts