Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, got a couple questions....
first, im in stationed in germany and have a 05 gt convert. I constantely drive at 120 mph plus for a long time, will this damage the engine over time? i suspect it will but its so much fun!:)
second, when i get back from iraq i plan to put a saleen supercharger on my gt. where can i buy one and also where can i get the saleen speedodometer, as i will def go faster than 150 and can it be installed in my car?
P.S. i have done extensive reseach and it is true that the gt does 150 mph!!! I race a newer porsche boxter on the autobahn and he thought he had me at about 130 but i just stepped on it and whissed past him and boy did he give me a dirty look as i passed him! he tried to pass again but could not keep up at 150mph. i wasnt leaving him in the dust but i was slowly pulling away.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am assuming that you have chiped your car or are running a tuner (Diablo / SCT)? Which one are you running?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Porsche Boxter aren't anything impressive....0-60 in like 6 seconds.

And you might need to do more research...the mustang is governed at 146mph I think. It can't go 150.

·
Registered
263 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:

And you might need to do more research...the mustang is governed at 146mph I think. It can't go 150.
Exactly why I asked what type of tune he had loaded...:winks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Probably pegged the speedo at 240km/h which converts to about 150mph. In other cars on the autobahn the speedo jumps a bit at those speeds, so he may have just been doing a straight conversion. Or he may have a tune. Tell you next week when I pick mine up at the Port and drive it 5-6 hours home on the authobahn. :drool:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:

I actually traded my Boxster in on my Mustang.. LOL! While I completely agree it was nothing to write home about as far as 0-60 but it was glued to the road... like no other car I've owned... it was amazing how that car handled...

G

·
if hes driving his car in germany he probably bought it there? maybe germany has no limiter? in any event...rather than debate if he went 150 or not...his question is will sustained speeds of 120 damage the engine? god i hope not...any techies?

·
Registered
237 Posts
fast

I have my GT (that I bought in US) in Europe too. I also drive for many hours at a time at around 1OO MPH. I doubt it will be a problem on the engine, as its only turning over at about 3200 RPM. However I would warn everyone, that although the car goes much faster, it's not a european car. At 120 mph, the car is not glued to the road....and if you lose control, i'l bet you won't recover...where as even in a golf, you might.

In the rain, driving over 60MPH can be a challenge...I've totally had the car sideways in just a slight drizzle. I've been thinking about changing the tires, but I'm not sure there's anything better out there, that's equally good o a Sunny day..????

·
Registered
886 Posts
yeah, front wheel drive (like the golf) is much easier on the driver:rolleyes: :winks :winks

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
johney5 said:
I have my GT (that I bought in US) in Europe too. I also drive for many hours at a time at around 1OO MPH. I doubt it will be a problem on the engine, as its only turning over at about 3200 RPM. However I would warn everyone, that although the car goes much faster, it's not a european car. At 120 mph, the car is not glued to the road....and if you lose control, i'l bet you won't recover...where as even in a golf, you might.
QUOTE]
Not to mention the better condition of the Autobahn. The Autobahn is twice as thick as our roads (something like 22"), and (supposedly) much better maintained.

·
Registered
916 Posts
High RPM's all the time will wear the engine more, but not excessively. More important is the heat that it will create at higher RPM's all the time. Heat causes stress failures. Which is why in racing they focus on that. I would invest in a good oil cooler and a full synthetic oil such Mobile 1. Wetter Water by Redline is great stuff. Both of those will lower temps.

Be sure to check your tire pressure often. At high speeds temps will be high, which is ok, but they will get low on pressure easier, not to mention, you don't want a blow out at those speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok to answer all of the questions.... no tune or reflash! only mods are a k and n cold air intake!! Second, the car was bought in texas and brought over here! third... who ever said that the car tops out at 131 mph is DEAD WRONG!! the law states that a manufacturer cant sell a car that goes faster than the rating of the stock tires.... well if u look at your tires they are rated at 150 mph. the speedo is 140 then a dash for 145 and then a longer line for 150. the speedo didnt jump around at all it was constant at 150. i understand the problems witha rear wheel drive car and this was done on a strip of road that was 100% dry and dead straight for like 20 miles.

well ok i guess that boxters arent that cool. we have figured that out now. but u cant tell me that a careara isnt hot or fast and until i get my super charger i cant run with one of them
what about the question about the supercharger?

·
Registered
167 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
if hes driving his car in germany he probably bought it there? maybe germany has no limiter? in any event...rather than debate if he went 150 or not...his question is will sustained speeds of 120 damage the engine? god i hope not...any techies?
Unfortunately the Mustang is not sold in Europe, at least thru the Ford network, but instead thru people that do import-export for exotic cars.

·
Registered
167 Posts
johney5 said:

In the rain, driving over 60MPH can be a challenge...I've totally had the car sideways in just a slight drizzle. I've been thinking about changing the tires, but I'm not sure there's anything better out there, that's equally good o a Sunny day..????
To improve the Mustang behavior at his speed, you could indeed had some work done on the suspension (lowering the car, firmer shock absorbers, I believe. Though I am not an expert, someone else could give you better infos) and change the stock Pirelli's for some other more performance oriented type of tire. Go to www.tirerack.com and you will find more solutions.

I am European as well (Swiss), I owned several high performance cars over there and from my own experience I can tell you that rear wheel drive cars with lots of power (say from 270 hp and up, I would say) can quite easily give you problems in adverse weather conditions. Even in a slight drizzle.
I remember my M3, not the latest generation (which I owned after I crashed this one I am talking about), but the previous one (made until 2001, if I remember well...), so the 3.2 liter V6 with 321 hp was a total suicide machine with very, very little water on the tarmac. It would constantly aquaplaning at speeds around 50-60 mph (this I believe was courtesy of the really fat tires it had...very good in dry conditions, a disaster when wet) and you could get sideways even at 10 mph in tight hairpins if you would press on the gas pedal a little bit more than grandpa style when the road was just slightly wet. Even when I got the newer M3 (which has traction control, while the previous model didn't) I would really take it easy on those conditions.
Bottomline is that rwd + lot of hp + fat tires = take it really easy in the rain.
I understand a Golf could manage better: less power, tires that are less wide than a Mustang GT tire (= less water that needs to be expelled from the tire's threads, also more weight from the car itself in less surface gives more chances for the tires to adhere better to the road), less hp to transmit onto the tarmac.
Also about the fact that probably it's easier to regain control of a Golf rather than a Mustang, it's possible: the Golf is much smaller and weighs less, so it's generally more nimble, making it easier to regain control in a bad situation.
This said, I believe you should have taken this into consideration before getting your Mustang ! The package you get, in my view, it's still a gazillion times better than a Golf...

·
Registered
10 Posts
05 Mustang GT had ETS "Electric Tracking System" I though it suppose to work in the snow and rain. Does anybody try this out in the rain yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts