• Bilstein

Votes: 5 35.7%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dampers: Steeda vs Koni vs Bilstein

I currently have GT500KR shocks and struts on my car with Steeda springs. Since I use my car mostly as a commuter I've decided to change things up. The GT500KR stuff is very stiff. I can corner like no tomorrow, but for everyday driving it is a bit much, especially on a lighter V6.

I have Bilsteins on my '69 so I know they are great. However, there is a significant cost involved with them. Suppose I can get 20-25% off Steeda or Koni Adjustables and you can further see why I'm hesitiant to go with the Bilsteins.

I would like your recommendations which way you think I should go for a well performing street car given the above information. Mods are in my signature.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Bilsteins are monotubes, the others aren't. The Bilsteins are "firm but controlled" more like BMW than what you'd think of in a Ford. They'd be my choice.

Bonus on the Bilstein- they have an inverted and shortened front strut housing that will preserve your bump travel if you decide to lower the car, which it looks like you have.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have Koni Yellows on my Supra and Bilsteins on my NSX.

Between those, I'd go with the Bilsteins. Best shock made.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To add to my dilemma I can currently get Bilstein rear shocks for $108 each, which is a pretty good deal. I'm tempted to do that but the struts are just so darn expensive. For the price of one I could nearly get the entire Steeda set on sale. I suppose I can get some of the money back by selling the GT500KR springs and shocks. Ugh, I just wish the Bilstein struts would go on sale! I know I'd probably be just as happy with one of the others as well. I hate having to decide without being able to drive the setup.

Question: I currently have the GT500 strut mounts and I'm also using camber bolts. Will I have to go back to the stock mounts or should I just get cc plates?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know the difference between the B6 HD Bilsteins and the Vorshlag street-pro series? I asked Vorshlag and only got this response, "the Bilstein kit will be a little sportier than any of the OEM struts, so it may not be what you are looking for." I'm not sure if there is a difference but can't figure it out. Even though nobody has voted for the Steeda I'm starting to lean towards them. They've been answering all my questions. I like the features of the Bilstein and admit they are the better choice, but the price is just hard to take when I can get the others on sale.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone know the difference between the B6 HD Bilsteins and the Vorshlag street-pro series? I asked Vorshlag and only got this response, "the Bilstein kit will be a little sportier than any of the OEM struts, so it may not be what you are looking for."...
Since you requested something not as rough as the OEM suspension, I do not recommend you use any of the Bilstein dampers.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jason. I'm not trying to stay OEM, just not as harsh as the GT500KR stuff. Something that is streetable without getting me car sick!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts