Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted an earlier thread on this subject. Has anyone else experienced rattles coming from the trunk? I spent some time yesterday trying to identify the source and have pinpointed two areas. For one (thankfully), the rattles are not coming from underneath the car.

The two sources are:
  1. The plastic facia piece covering the trunk light on the deck lid.
  2. The plastic facia piece covering the back of the tail lights
The rattling is very pronounced and I'm guessing that the plastic is rubbing against the steel of the trunk area and/or lid. Any ideas on how to quiet this down?

Regarding another rattle that I think I've read in this forum posted by others, concerns one on the passenger side of the dashboard; anyone dealt with this one yet?

I know previous Mustangs were notorious for some rattles, but I know Ford touted this '05 as being a 'little more tight'. With rattles showing up at about 4K miles, it's bound to get worse.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
dash rattle

I too have the dashboard ratttle. Its in the panel right above the glovebox. If I push on it while it rattles it goes away, so it must be that piece. I haven't taken the time yet to see how that piece is attached... but I'm betting I'll have to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My rattle is more a very loud squeak comming from under the dash on the driver side, it happens mostly when the car is twisting while hitting a bump and it's not doing it on a straight solid bump. Seems like metal pieces rubing against each others. It's seems to be more high pitch than plastic or rubber !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dash Rattle

06GT4me said:
I too have the dashboard ratttle. Its in the panel right above the glovebox. If I push on it while it rattles it goes away, so it must be that piece. I haven't taken the time yet to see how that piece is attached... but I'm betting I'll have to take it to the dealer.
Yeah..I have a rattle above the glovebox, too. I had about 50 miles on the car when I discovered it. Hope somebody here figures out what it is.
:eyebulge:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the dash rattle coming from the aluminum piece. I've tapped on it a couple of times with my fist and that usually takes care of it for a few miles until it loosens up again. Once I figure out how this piece is attached, I'll remove it and then re-attach adding on the backside of the panel, the 'felt' side of velcro; this should help to quiet any surfaces that are rubbing together.

The rattles in the trunk really got me annoyed and again, I agree with the assessment that it happens most predominately when hitting a bump on an angle which puts a little bit of a twisting force on the car. It's definitely two surfaces rubbing; where is a good question. I'm tempted to remove the back panel and apply a felt strip along the entire edge to insure a cushion and hopefully stop the rattles.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The rattle in the passenger side dash has been covered in a previous thread. It was determined to be the airbag mount or something like that. Do a search for airbag and you will probably find your answer to that one. :wavey

·
Registered
271 Posts
2k5GTC said:
The rattle in the passenger side dash has been covered in a previous thread. It was determined to be the airbag mount or something like that. Do a search for airbag and you will probably find your answer to that one. :wavey
Here's the link to the other thread...the folks who fixed theirs are on the second page:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35856

·
Registered
193 Posts
the little plastic push things that hold the plastic covers over my tail lights in my trunk wont push into anything. They just fall out. The plastic "kick panel" that wraps around to the passanger door sill is turning white and spiderwebbing. And the plastic piece that runs over my door inside keeps popping loose. also my drivers side wheel well insert has like a crease and a pucker sticking out and the pin that holds the hole by it is long gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 05 V-6 and the dashboard has been rattling for almost a year. Took it into the dealer to fix the rear side marker and license lights and dash rattle. They didn't even know there were lightbulbs in the rear sidemarkers. Thought they were just reflectors. 5 HOURS later I drive it home and 1/2 way home the dash starts again but louder. Had a friend sit in passenger seat and he found the problem. It is the A-piller moulding that is loose and rubbing on the top side of the dash and is showing some white powdery stuff where it is rubbing.So for a quick fix,I stuck my comb in between the two pieces and it hasn't made a bit of noise since. As far as the rear lights- the tech said they weren't even plugged in from the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts