Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem with the top of the dash rattling when driving over even the littlest bumps? On both the driver side and passenger side if you put your hand on the top of the dash you can feel like something is rattling very close to the dash itself. If I lift up on the dash the rattle goes away on the side I lift up.

I am kind of afraid to take it to the shop since every other vehicle I have had that the shops did work to ( if they needed in the dash area) always seemed to come back with a little rattle else where.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine has a similar rattle on the right top of the dash next to the windshield. It semms to do it most when it is cold - once the interior warms up it seems to go away. I talked with the dealer about warranty work, but I am hesitant for the same reason, they might make it worse.

05 GT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes my 05 GT has the same rattle but once the car warms up it seems to go away, I think it has somethng to do with the defrost vents.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
What sounds like the dash or vents is often the A-pillar covers. Mine rattle when cold. A little bit of foam jammed underneath helps.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Mine rattled for a while, and when it warmed up it would go away. I would let a few winters season the car, and the dash might settle in...mine did. I don't hear that rattle from the front by the driver side(near the window) anymore.

If you take it to a dealer, they'll take the car and just give it back saying they didnt hear anything(typical response when they dont feel like touching it).

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you take it to a dealer, they'll take the car and just give it back saying they didnt hear anything(typical response when they dont feel like touching it).

Ah yes, the "we checked it out but didn't hear anything," response. I love it, I've actually sat in the car with the guy listening to the noise while he pretended not to hear it.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Ah yes, the "we checked it out but didn't hear anything," response. I love it, I've actually sat in the car with the guy listening to the noise while he pretended not to hear it.
I believe the technical terminology is 'we were unable to duplicate the problem'. :gringreen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just noticed I have the same problem. Will be checking it out in a few days when i get more time. It is annoying!! And the crap roads we have around here doesn't help either!

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
it does suck and mine does the same when it's cold and nothing when it's warmed up. You would think when the cars were made or tested they would have heard the noise but i guess they never drove a mustang when it's cold. And Ford hates to fix anything, usually.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I'm not sure if I have the same noise as you all. Mine is more of a clicking sound that is coming from the driver's side dash. It comes and goes, so it is hard to pinpoint what is causing it. Not the end of the world, but it's noticeable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the clicky sound on the drivers side dash. It's the window, I've reached up and applied pressure on the dash and glass, and applying pressure on the glass while driving actually makes the sound go away. Not really sure what to do about it, dealership has never seen it before and it does not replicate for them. Happens maybe once a month.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Mine has had the rattle on the passenger side off and on. Doesn't seem temperature related though. I would have it in the summer sometimes, but drove the car today and quiet as a mouse. Actually it's more often when the wife's riding in the car. Go figure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On mine, I thought it was the dash until my wife pointed out to me that it was the auto shifter. Turned out to be the little back knob on the left side of the handle. It had been driving me nuts for weeks until she showed me what it was.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think the part of the dash that fits close to the windshield is just sitting on top of little plastic supports and when it gets even slightly cool, the two pieces of plastic click against each other when you hit a bump. I placed a small piece of soft foam where the dash sits on the support. No more clicking.

I still think we should have a Rattle and squeak thread.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dash rattles

Hi Everyone,

Here is my chance to give back to this forum all the help it has given me.

I owned a 05 GT and sold it to get a 07 GT500 (used #12 in the prod run). Both cars had the same rattles. The worst is in and around the display. Ford dealers refused to fix it! Turns out the buzz/rattle is in the display itself. The actuators for the meters have springs in them and they make a horrible noise on all major bumps. A new display will not fix it, they all do it!

I knocked the noises down by 80% by removing the instrument panel and putting a big piece of cheap bumpy shipping foam behind it. Then I used some expensive audio grade damping washers on the holes in the top of the display and put the screws through the washers so that the display floats (is supported by) the soft damping washers. I also put some large soft damping bushings under the bottom display mounting tabs and did not screw the bottom tabs back down (snapping the front plastic display cover panel holds everything back in nicely.

I should have taken a bunch of pics but sorry I did not. It really sucks that the display makes so much noise. It is worse in the GT500 because the 500hp and stiffer suspension puts more vibrations into the body of the car. I have also removed the glove box, fuse cover, and moulding around the speakers because of vibration noises.

There are other noises near the seat belt attachment points that I have not addressed yet. Today I am working on more important matters...the new rear Koni adj shocks and J&M LCA's are going in to (I hope) fix the wheel hop problem.

One other thing. The plastic, snapped together air vents are noisy also. Pop them out, take (un-snap) them apart and THEN GLUE Them back together. That also will get rid of some rattle noises.

The other big rattle is in the roof. A large plastic sheet with big bumps on it in in there and it hits the metal parts of the roof and rattles!!! I have a temp fix with some foam on the edges under the door moldings but I need to remove the entire roof liner and do it properly.

Great cars these Mustangs!!! I drive mine 100 miles every day to work in Santa Clara "But Ford Did Not" do a good job on the details of the interior...but I knew that going in and I still love my GT500!

Hope this helps a little,

MSBMustang/Mark

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
tis the season when the rattle and squeak threads begin. I have noticed that when the weather starts getting colder, the rattles rear their ugly head. you don't see as many of these threads in the summer.

Sally has her fair share of rattles as well. most of the time in the colder mornings. like many of you, I have learned to live with it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
tis the season when the rattle and squeak threads begin. I have noticed that when the weather starts getting colder, the rattles rear their ugly head. you don't see as many of these threads in the summer.

Sally has her fair share of rattles as well. most of the time in the colder mornings. like many of you, I have learned to live with it.
LOL, The other morning I had a gremlin inside the car when I started up. A rattle to the right, center and then left. I think the Bassani X w/ hi-flo cats takes a little warming up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.