Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 has 8800 miles on it. At certain speeds, the vibration kicks in and the dash rattles like hell. The whole thing from left to right. This just started about 1,000 miles ago. Has anybody had the same problem? Anyone find a fix yet?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Jimbeaux said:
My '05 has 8800 miles on it. At certain speeds, the vibration kicks in and the dash rattles like hell. The whole thing from left to right. This just started about 1,000 miles ago. Has anybody had the same problem? Anyone find a fix yet?
I would get it to the dealer and have him check over the chassis for something amiss. We both know it isn't normal. Maybe you have something wrong with a wheel, tire, driveshaft et cetera.

oh!...and have them check the dash as well!

You should not have to put up with any of this with the warranty in effect.

I had deja vu with this post too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dash Rattles

I am sitting at 8000 miles and my dash will rattle under certain conditions-thought that it was just me and Alabama highways; will talk to the dealer tomorrow

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine has done this too... I say "has", because it seems to have gone away all by itself. I've had other new cars as well that had odd little rattles and squeaks that eventually went away on their own. I'm not talking about mechanical noises, just little interior trim squeaks and rattles. In such cases, I guess they go away after a time due to the parts wearing in, and "getting to know each other". I hope this is the case with my 'Stang, and hope the same goes for yours too. Haven't heard mine rattle in a month or so, and am keeping my fingers crossed. My suggestion to you Jimbeaux, assuming it's not driving you nuts, is give it some time. If it doesn't ease up, then by all means take it to the dealer before your warranty expires. The one thing that stopped me from taking mine in right off the bat is the notion of them tearing the dash apart looking for the cause of such a noise, and having it still be there (or worse) after they put it all back together. I really didn't like the mental picture I got from that.

Just my 2¢. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
rainman said:
Mine has done this too... I say "has", because it seems to have gone away all by itself. I've had other new cars as well that had odd little rattles and squeaks that eventually went away on their own. I'm not talking about mechanical noises, just little interior trim squeaks and rattles. In such cases, I guess they go away after a time due to the parts wearing in, and "getting to know each other". I hope this is the case with my 'Stang, and hope the same goes for yours too. Haven't heard mine rattle in a month or so, and am keeping my fingers crossed. My suggestion to you Jimbeaux, assuming it's not driving you nuts, is give it some time. If it doesn't ease up, then by all means take it to the dealer before your warranty expires. The one thing that stopped me from taking mine in right off the bat is the notion of them tearing the dash apart looking for the cause of such a noise, and having it still be there (or worse) after they put it all back together. I really didn't like the mental picture I got from that.

Yeah I think the noises eventually settle. which is what im hoping for my rattling right now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rainman said:

Thanks Rainman; I will have a go at that approach and see what's what.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 05 had a bad dash rattle on the driver’s side. I took out the instrument cluster and found that one of the main wire bundles was slightly resting against the bottom side of the dash. I put a little piece of foam on top of it and also since I was in there I also put some foam on top of the air tube running to my far left drivers air vent. Put it all back together and knock on wood that was my rattle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My dash rattles like a bucket of bolts. I also have a strange rattle coming from the rear. Not sure what that is. Test drove an 06 GT and it had not a rattle, but a loud squeak which I also hear from mine on occasion. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that all new mustangs have these dash rattles. If you have not noticed it yet, turn that radio down and you will. Oh, and if you have cloth interior, look out for the dreaded creaking seat. I'm sure all this can be easily fixed though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a rattle on drivers side, the plastic piece in the door behind the "door handle" that holds the interior door panel on, it fits just a touch off, so it would rattle now and then, mostly in cold weather. I pulled it out and put a piece of velcro on both the door panel and the plastic piece, and haven't had a rattle since..

·
Registered
352 Posts
dash

the deal had to order me a new dash and drive blitz to stop the noise

plus a new e barke handle to stop the other metal noise i had it was the
spring inside the e brake it i did not show them where it was i would still have the noise..

they said they did not hear anything ... i went to the deal and make the tech
come out and i taped on the ebrake handle and it made the noise.. he look like this:eyebulge:
that got it fix asap.... I find it is easier to go and show them .. then to let
them find it .... Becouse it not there car.. and they do not care.. as much
as we do...~~

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
rainman said:
The one thing that stopped me from taking mine in right off the bat is the notion of them tearing the dash apart looking for the cause of such a noise, and having it still be there (or worse) after they put it all back together. I really didn't like the mental picture I got from that.
The exact reason why I'm holding off having some dash rattles and an occasional skipping Shaker 500 unit fixed until 1 month or 100 miles before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a really loud rattle on bumpy roads around the right side air vent. It can be really loud. It comes and goes with to the temperature. I've had it to the dealer twice an they say they can't hear it. Seems to be worse when cold. It's driving me crazy.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
84 Posts
My car has a weird sound coming from the dash cluster. It sounds like a pop corn machine behind there. The sound is still there even after I shut the engine off. It goes away after about 30 seconds. It sounds like it is a rotating part because it stops slowly. It almost seems as it would be the blower motor wheel, but it makes the sound all the time even when the fan is off. Does anyone hear something like this in their car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
weird sound

Mine did the same. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it right up. It was a wiring harness that had come lose. I have no werid sounds anymore.

GrapeNo1
:drink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
savagess said:
the deal had to order me a new dash and drive blitz to stop the noise

plus a new e barke handle to stop the other metal noise i had it was the
spring inside the e brake it i did not show them where it was i would still have the noise..

they said they did not hear anything ... i went to the deal and make the tech
come out and i taped on the ebrake handle and it made the noise.. he look like this:eyebulge:
that got it fix asap.... I find it is easier to go and show them .. then to let
them find it .... Becouse it not there car.. and they do not care.. as much
as we do...~~
Did they fix your ebrake rattle? I have the same issue but thought it was due to my Tri-Ax or new exhaust. Did you notice how difficult it was to replace the spring? I have a bunch of non-Ford parts and don't want them noting any of them in my records nor do I feel like removing them for an ebrake spring noise.

·
Registered
352 Posts
e brake

no it still rattle i am going to make them order me a new one .. in april
when i can drive my car over to them ... becouse i have no insurance on it in
the winter ... tell march or april so it has to sit..

from with i understand you can not take the ebrake handle apart you have to replace the hole thing.. but i not sure if it true.. it may be a line of bull
he was giveing me... just so they did not have to fix it..
becouse i had to go and show them where the niose was.. becouse they said the was no noise comeing for it... boy make his face red....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would agree that the whole unit will probably be replaced, I have found the parts diagrams for it but nothing that shows the handle being taken apart.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My dash has a rattle when the car is cold.
It is rubbing agianst the windshield on the drivers fwd outbd corner.
Goes away once the dash warms up.
More of an anoyance then anything but I will have the dealer look
when I go back in next.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the same problem

zman2800 said:
My 05 had a bad dash rattle on the driver’s side. I took out the instrument cluster and found that one of the main wire bundles was slightly resting against the bottom side of the dash. I put a little piece of foam on top of it and also since I was in there I also put some foam on top of the air tube running to my far left drivers air vent. Put it all back together and knock on wood that was my rattle.
ZMan,

How hard is it to take out the instrument cluster. Any quick advice on how to do it? I have the same noise problem and it is getting worse. I have 20K miles on my 2005.

Thanks,

MSB Mustang

·
Registered
23 Posts
i don't see why everyone is so obsessed with fixing it themselves. if you break something, or show any other evidence that the car has been tampered with outside of the dealer, warranty won't cover it. take it to the dealer, have them fix it, and go on your merry way. that's why we have warranties, so you can get stuff fixed without screwing it up yourself cause you don't know what you are doing. once it's out of warranty, work on it all you want. it won't matter then if you break something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts