Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 has 8800 miles on it. At certain speeds, the vibration kicks in and the dash rattles like hell. The whole thing from left to right. This just started about 1,000 miles ago. Has anybody had the same problem? Anyone find a fix yet?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Jimbeaux said:
My '05 has 8800 miles on it. At certain speeds, the vibration kicks in and the dash rattles like hell. The whole thing from left to right. This just started about 1,000 miles ago. Has anybody had the same problem? Anyone find a fix yet?
I would get it to the dealer and have him check over the chassis for something amiss. We both know it isn't normal. Maybe you have something wrong with a wheel, tire, driveshaft et cetera.

oh!...and have them check the dash as well!

You should not have to put up with any of this with the warranty in effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
we have had the exact same problem with our 05. It has just under 10k miles on it and the dash has started rattling like hell at some speeds. We have not had the chance to get it into the dealer yet. We also have a problem with the trunk not popping open like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep!! Just over 20K and started to rattle pretty good...Sometimes will put hand on dash and press a bit and will stop for a sec or 2...really getting annoying!!! Noticed that the ac vents also vibrate a little...I am on a dirt road, so I definately know that does not help at all, but would think dash would stay in place...will get to dealership asap and still need to get the skipper 1000 looked at and replaced. Whenever I have a prob I call the 800 number and tell them to put in file for me. Had dood handle sticking also at one time. Went to close door and shot right back out, glad only one around and not cars!!!! Was sticking a lot for a bit and now only does on occassion. How many miles on yours?? Hope get this fixed soon. Let me know if you find out anything and same goes for me. :madas: :doh:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'd be careful about running to the dealer for every little problem. You don't want too many wrenches on your car. My opinion, it's due to the colder weather, some materials expand or contract and leave some empty space which could account for some rattling. But the mechs will have to rip open the dash to check, and they probably won't find anything. I think it would be pointless to bring it in.

PS Mine rattles too. But unless it's something obvious, the mechanics can't really do anything about it. Everytihng is tight, it's just some material that shrunk due to the cold weather, and the mechanics won't be able to tell what's doing the rattling.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I'd be careful about running to the dealer for every little problem. You don't want too many wrenches on your car. My opinion, it's due to the colder weather, some materials expand or contract and leave some empty space which could account for some rattling. But the mechs will have to rip open the dash to check, and they probably won't find anything. I think it would be pointless to bring it in.
Right on the money, twoscoops. I have also developed a pretty annoying rattle on the left dash the I can stop by putting a hand on the dash. I have 40,000 miles and this kust popped up a couple thousand miles ago. I shoved a piece of stiff black foam about the size of a pencil and 1 inch long into the seam of the dash you see when the driver door is opened. You can't see it and the rattle is gone.

If you can fix anything yourself I'd do that before I took it to the dealer. As twoscoops said, they'll just rip it open and find nothing abnormal and put it back together, but with the act of taking your dash apart create ever more rattles? Something to think about. I know we paid a lot for a car with a bumper to bumper warranty (mine expired, :sosad: ), still I don't want to annoy my dealer by taking it with ever rattle I find. I don't want to dealer to say "here we go again" when I come in with a true problem.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
5twenty said:
Right on the money, twoscoops. I have also developed a pretty annoying rattle on the left dash the I can stop by putting a hand on the dash. I have 40,000 miles and this kust popped up a couple thousand miles ago. I shoved a piece of stiff black foam about the size of a pencil and 1 inch long into the seam of the dash you see when the driver door is opened. You can't see it and the rattle is gone.

If you can fix anything yourself I'd do that before I took it to the dealer. As twoscoops said, they'll just rip it open and find nothing abnormal and put it back together, but with the act of taking your dash apart create ever more rattles? Something to think about. I know we paid a lot for a car with a bumper to bumper warranty (mine expired, :sosad: ), still I don't want to annoy my dealer by taking it with ever rattle I find. I don't want to dealer to say "here we go again" when I come in with a true problem.
Yeah, maybe after a couple more winters and summers of expanding and contracting metals/plastics, it wlil go away on it's own.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Mine has developed a slight rattle on the passengers side... I am going to have my dealer check it out this weeke when it goes in to have the gas tank checked out.

I only have 4000 miles

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have several rattles in my dash. The far left register will rattle like hell if I go over too many bumps. When I get the RPMs over 3000, it sounds as if the CD player area is rattling...like the CD trays are rattling. It didn't start doing this until the colder weather. I also had an annoying rattle in the passenger side door and Ford fixed it by using the Ford "Anti-Rattle Kit", which turns out to be nothing but double sided foam tape.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2006BlackBeauty said:
I have several rattles in my dash. The far left register will rattle like hell if I go over too many bumps. When I get the RPMs over 3000, it sounds as if the CD player area is rattling...like the CD trays are rattling. It didn't start doing this until the colder weather. I also had an annoying rattle in the passenger side door and Ford fixed it by using the Ford "Anti-Rattle Kit", which turns out to be nothing but double sided foam tape.
I had major rattle from passenger side going over bumps....dealer fixed it; it was the long piece of plastic between the windshield and the passenger window. The "cd tray" rattle on mine is the plastic trim around the gearshift. I've also noticed many small rattles since the cold weather hit. For awhile now, there has been this intermittent "rattle" from the driver door that sounds like a tumbleweed being moved around by the wind...maybe it's something inside of the door that has fallen to the bottom?
If anyone cares, the gas tank replacement worked a little bit, but definitely still have the problem at certain stations/pumps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
daytona955 said:
we have had the exact same problem with our 05. It has just under 10k miles on it and the dash has started rattling like hell at some speeds. We have not had the chance to get it into the dealer yet. We also have a problem with the trunk not popping open like it is supposed to.
Same Problem Here... Trunk doesn't pop open, I have to make an appointment to take my car in for a list of issues... I fixed the dash rattle for now, I had to fold up my business card and shove it between the dash and the door post on the drivers side...

I can send you a photo if you need me too, I hope these guys take care of these problems...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Daytona 955: please let us know what the "Trunk doesn't pop open" problem was, anyone else solve this one?

mine makes the poping sound when released with the remote but the lid "sticks" in the down position, I have to lift on lid to un-stick it
I have tried using a rubber dressing on the wheather stripping but it does not help, after the first pop it does not stick the rest of day

its seems like it is the weather stripping, I will try greasing it up again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts