Ford Mustang Forum banner

Dead Battery/Locked Doors! Advice to open it up, Please.

19K views 84 replies 22 participants last post by  05PONYCAR 
#1 ·
Ok, I did the search and had no luck, but remember reading about someone else with this problem once before.
Here's the deal...

I'm not 100% positive the battery is dead, but I want to be prepared.

I will be driving a little over an hour to get my car out of my brother-in-law's garage where I have "temporarily" stored it during my recent move.

I put a cover over the car after I washed it up and am not sure if I locked it or not.

I am looking for some answers in case it is dead and locked so that I may take the necessary tools with me in order to get the car.

Suggestions appreciated. I think I remember someone jumping it via a wire to a tail light. I'm very apprehensive about that one.

#2 ·
Won't the key open the door?

#3 ·
my1ststang said:
I was going to ask where are the keys?

#4 ·
Eric The MadMan said:
I was going to ask where are the keys?
Never mind, I remember the proble the other gentleman was having... he parked it too close to the wall on the driver side and couldn't get in because the passenger side has no key hole.:head_shot:

I'm an idiot!:applause::oops:

#5 ·
KJ - Delete this thread please!

Otherwise, lets discuss not having access to the key hole like the guy I'm referring to did. :)

#6 ·
my1ststang said:

A key can do that? :shigrin It has been so long since I have used a key to open doors. I am too spoiled by the key fobs.

#11 ·
Waxed'05 GT said:
Ok, I did the search and had no luck, but remember reading about someone else with this problem once before.
Here's the deal...

I'm not 100% positive the battery is dead, but I want to be prepared.

I will be driving a little over an hour to get my car out of my brother-in-law's garage where I have "temporarily" stored it during my recent move.

I put a cover over the car after I washed it up and am not sure if I locked it or not.

I am looking for some answers in case it is dead and locked so that I may take the necessary tools with me in order to get the car.

Suggestions appreciated. I think I remember someone jumping it via a wire to a tail light. I'm very apprehensive about that one.
Use your key.

:laugh:

#12 ·
:sterb: im hitting you because in your condition a whack on the head was the only thing i thought i could do to help...

its alright waxed'05, youll be okay man...

havent seen you on here in awhile.... wuz up?

#14 ·
GTNOS said:
:sterb: im hitting you because in your condition a whack on the head was the only thing i thought i could do to help...

its alright waxed'05, youll be okay man...

havent seen you on here in awhile.... wuz up?
Thanks, I need all the help I can get...

#15 ·
Foolinjected said:
No....I meant the answer!...I was thinkin hard on the question :/
Seriously... is there an alternate solution, other than a slim jim?

Sure, a lead to the starter, but what if it was left in gear???

#16 ·
I can't imagine storing my Stang for a couple of months during the summer while I moved. You must be very patient...

#17 ·
my1ststang said:
I can't imagine storing my Stang for a couple of months during the summer while I moved. You must be very patient...
I rarely drive it as it is; but I'm itching to get it back. The end of the season is near and I probably only put ~1200 - ~1500 miles on it this year.

#23 ·
pegasusphototx said:
If the battery is dead, how will there be power to the window to move it down the 1/4" needed to open the door?

-danny
I have opened dozens of locked cars with a lock out kit during my tenure of managing a car wash. The best way would be to place what is similiar to an airbag towards the rear of the window and then extend a rod in to pull on the handle to open the door. Total time <2 minutes.

#24 ·
my1ststang said:

I thought this was the old blonde joke!

Didn't know he was serious!

#25 ·
kscoyote said:
I thought this was the old blonde joke!

Didn't know he was serious!

Yep, have you not ever heard of this happening to someone with an s197? One guy did this past winter - parked it drivers side too close to a wall and got out through the passenger side and armed the car. (set the alarm and locked the doors) He ended up jump starting the car via a positive lead to his tail light.

I know - sounds ridiculous.

#26 ·
Waxed'05 GT said:
Yep, have you not ever heard of this happening to someone with an s197? One guy did this past winter - parked it drivers side too close to a wall and got out through the passenger side and armed the car. (set the alarm and locked the doors) He ended up jump starting the car via a positive lead to his tail light.

I know - sounds ridiculous.
How'd he get OUT of the car? I mean, if you can get out of the car you can get back in, right?

Sounds like an excuse for being a University of Nebraska graduate to me . .. .

I had someone park too close to my 68, and I had to go squeeze in the door -go through the back seat, open the passenger door and climb over the console -because there wasn't room enough to get in the front, but the edge on the door suuuuuure makes a nice ding!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.