Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, long time no speak.

I am in the market for a new Mustang. I went to two different dealers in my area trying out the 2017 V6 Mustang. It was actually a pretty weird day. Both dealers had the same, yet different problem(s) with their Mustangs. Both places had Mustangs dead batteries, which is fair enough, I am not holding that against them, it happens and has been a tough winter for batteries. HOWEVER, I do have concerns about how the cars behaved after they were jumped.

Place #1. The salesman jumped the car to bring it to the front of the lot for me to go testing. I tried to use the remote start but nothing happened. I got in the car with the salesman, tried to start, but the car failed to fire, but instead kept trying to start. It kept making a loud "tick" notice coming from the starter area. Obviously there not enough current or amperage to get things going. This was odd because it would not stop doing this. It kept making this "tick" noise for minutes. It only stopped once they got a battery back up and jumped the car. Then everything was fine.

Place #2. Place number two also had to have the car jumped. This time the insides were acting weird. As we were going for a drive, the computer screens (dash and center console) kept turning off. The lights on the speed'o and tack were also flashing every once and a while. The salesman said this is normal and it was just the computer recycling, is this true? Eventually it stopped and everything was "normal".

Has anyone ever had these problems? Should I worry? Does the mustang not have a "failure to start kill mechanism"? What about the screens and lights turning on an off, was this really the computer resetting its self?

I don't want to get rid of my 98' Mustang. But she is getting on and tired :(

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would credit the first one to just a low voltage problem. Low voltage can cause some strange things to happen. The second thing sounds a little odd, but could have been cause of the voltage being low or something along those lines

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
yeah since these cars are basically rolling computers I think there are two basic problems:

1) there is a small drain on the battery to maintain some of the systems, even when everything is turned off. If the car is sitting for a long time without being run or charged, the battery will eventually go dead

2) the systems seem to be a bit sensitive to low battery voltage; if they are not getting the voltage that they need, they go a little crazy and do weird things

probably both of those would be cured by driving the car more often and/or putting the battery on a charger during long periods of storage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts