Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my little girl has been tucked in the garage since snow first fell about 10 days ago. I went to get her out today, and no power, no lights. I got in and noticed that I left my radar detector plugged in. Thats the only thing that I can think of. I am a bit surprised that it drained so quickly. I have had the car 3 months. I never had to unplug my rd in my F-150 and I would sometimes go 3-4 weeks between driving.

Anyone else have battery problems.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
My battery was dead before I even drove it off the lot. Replaced before purchase. Was told that the stock Motorcraft battery is essentially crap.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just had the dead battery thing happen to me after my car sat in the garage for one week and the temperatures here got a little on the cold side. Starting to sound like a battery change might be considered a mod.

·
Registered
867 Posts
As I posted in a previous thread - both of mine went flat when I went on an 8 day vacation. The coupe has been fine since then but the vert died again suddenly two weeks ago. Dealer can't find anything wrong.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine goes dead in about a week without driving it with only 3,000 miles on it...

I had an aftermarket alarm installed at the dealership before I took possession of the car...

I think that the alarm system is draining the battery...

Will go to an alarm shop on Friday (day off work) to have the system checked...

Other than that, I park in an enclosed private garage with no one tempering with the car...

I don't know what the problem is??? Alarm works perfectly too!!!

Dave :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alarm Drain?

I am sure the tech heads can pull out the circuit diagram and check this one out......however....over this side of the pond it is a known problem with certain alarm systems in European cars.
Here`s the deal. Lock it in the garage and leave it for two weeks and lock it using the key fob arming, and the whole system is armed, doors, motion, tilt etc. So everything comes off the hot battery bus bar......very slowly....taking a drain. Lock it using the key in the door and the doors only are in the circuit to the alarm ( dead circuit until latched)...no problem.
Second problem. Park it at the airport for two days arming with the key fob and every time "Cargo Are Us" takes off with an old noisy DC8, the noise and vibration triggers the motion detector... come back two days later...dead battery.
Probably why Mr. Ford mentions the two ways of locking and the differences in the handbook.
If there are any techs out there with access to the shop wiring diagram, comments?

·
Registered
186 Posts
My friend had his explorer in my garage for 6 months and the battery goes dead just by sitting there....Then i charge it and in another month it goes dead again...Whats up with these fords going dead?JohnnyT

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue. Seems it only happens when I lock the car. This info was on another site,
Well folks, I suggested the cable/battery idea to the service department. They assured me they had "tested" both battery and cables and offered that they were unwilling to swap them out just to make me feel good. After several conversations with me they are now saying that they found moisture penetration around the wiper ports...they said that Ford(corporate) told them they we having problems with some small tabs not adhering well. When the service guys here pulled the cover they "found this to be the case".

Here is the link: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4b001/577

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had to jump my car off the last three times I drove it. Took it to dealer as soon as I got a chance. They replaced the battery and said it was bad. I have gone as long as 2 months with alarm on and without cranking with no problems. Perhaps these long periods without a start are not good for battery life.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dead battery also

I have had my Stang since Jan this year, I had it in the garage this past weekend and it was not cold out for 2 days then backed it out and put it back in a bit later, it started fine. The next day I went to back it out again and it did not crank at all, there was electrical but not enough to turn the engine over. I used my jump box and it popped right off. I ran it down the road for a few miles and it still started fine. I left it sit for 4 or 5 more hrs and still it started. This morning when I was heading to work, it would barely crank over and I needed to use the jump box again to start it. I have around 9k miles on it right now. From what I read from others, it sounds like I got a bad battery. If I go to the dealer, what are the chances they will replace it, I have only had the car 11 months and never had a new car battery go bad this fast, I drive the car daily for the most part but was on vacation last week and did not use it much and it was clean so did not want to get it dirty lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine just sat for 8 days while I was out of town and it started up perfectly. If your battery gets discharged that much, it should be charged with a battery charger. The alternator is not intended to charge a dead battery, only to maintain its charge. Also, do not pull the negative battery cable while the car is running as a way to check if the alternator is working. That usually causes a nice voltage spike that will smoke the voltage regulator or some other electronic part.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had some snow here over Thanksgiving. Kept the car in the garage for about 8-10days without driving it. I was about to start the "hibernating" process this weekend but I had to drive it today since my Jeep is being worked on. I try to fire it up this morning and click click click...battery dead.

Going to get a trickle charger.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
FWIW

Whenever I buy a new car, the 1st thing I try to remember to do is check the tire pressures and fluid levels.
It was the same routine with the 05 Mustang GT last Dec. I do not know if this has anything to do with the recent flood of battery problems, but I found that my battery's fluid level was so low that the plates in some of the cells were exposed right out of the dealer's garage. I refilled all of the cells, and after a few weeks I found them to be a little low again, but not as bad as the 1st time.
So now I check the battery fluid level at least once a month, refill if necessary, and over a year's time have not had any starting problems, even with temps in the teens around here in NE Pa. recently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whenever I park a vehicle for an extended period of time I hook up the battery to a "Battery Tender". I have never had a dead battery yet.:winks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
An addendum to my previous post.

Twice this year my Stang sat idle for 7 days, once in April and once in August, and both times it started right up.
Also, during the times of $3+ per gallon for premium the car was not being driven that much, and it would sit for 3-5 days without any startup problems.
But I did always make sure the battery's fluid level was up to par.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts