Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again. Ford dealer said they will follow tsb 08-7-6 and use both rotunda 303-1398 and 303-1203 coz it is recommended by Ford.
They will not remove the heads to extract the broken plugs unless rotunda fails to do the job (or untill they fail)

I need to know if the 303-1398 comes with 7 pins as each broken porcelain need 1 pin to be removed and the pin can be used only 1 time.
Searched the net and i couldn't find this info.
Thank you

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the Lisle 65600 tool. It gets great reviews and you can get it for $60.00 on eBay!
Ford dealer in Lebanon did not agree on lisle, they want to follow the tsb and use the rotunda as recommended by ford. Still don't know how many pins comes with the package of 303-1398

·
Registered
147 Posts
Logic would have them put 8 pins in the kit wouldn't you think? Of course a logical person would never have designed these silly-assed spark plugs either!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ford dealer in Lebanon did not agree on lisle, they want to follow the tsb and use the rotunda as recommended by ford. Still don't know how many pins comes with the package of 303-1398
I would just ask the dealership. They should order enough to do the your job and some spares. But then again who knows.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
These still won't get the porcelain pieces out of the cylinders you previously said have already fallen down there... are they or you concerned about getting those out or just what's left in some of the threads?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These still won't get the porcelain pieces out of the cylinders you previously said have already fallen down there... are they or you concerned about getting those out or just what's left in some of the threads?
The 7 broken pieces still in the cylinders, they are stuck and did not fall, no way they will fall there is a ring in the electrode that prevent this. So we need to remove the porcelain that remove the stainles steel electrode. Attache is a pics of whats left inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Rotunda tool is a PIA to use because you have to extract the broken porcelein piece before you can remove the shield. I would highly recommend using the Lisle tool. I used it to remove the 5 broken plugs in my heads last year. I made sure I went back with a small piece of rubber hose hooked to a Shopvac to suck out any remaining debris from the heads (the best I could) before I installed new plugs. No issues. :)

But to answer your question, I believe the tool comes with 8 pins. However, it doesn't sound like your dealer is very skilled with this repair so I would recommend some extras if they are adamant about using this method.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Rotunda tool is a PIA to use because you have to extract the broken porcelein piece before you can remove the shield. I would highly recommend using the Lisle tool. I used it to remove the 5 broken plugs in my heads last year. I made sure I went back with a small piece of rubber hose hooked to a Shopvac to suck out any remaining debris from the heads (the best I could) before I installed new plugs. No issues. :)

But to answer your question, I believe the tool comes with 8 pins. However, it doesn't sound like your dealer is very skilled with this repair so I would recommend some extras if they are adamant about using this method.
I bought and shipped both, 2 rotunda alternative and the lisle, it will arrive this week. Dealer said rotunda order will take 6-8 weeks to arrive, no way i keep my car there. I will do it at the dealer garage myself, no one touch my car anymore but me.
My concern is the vac thing after removing the shield, can you help me with that in details please?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You are right, Rotunda broke 1 pin inside the porcelain, now it is sitting glued by epoxy 1 cm above the porcelain.
Lisle removed the other 6 smoothly but 1 electrode head was broken and felt inside the cylinder.
Any suggestion how to remove the broken pin to use the lisle on plug #7 and then do the vacuum thing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts