Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH. I have been having the hardest of times to find a selection of 2012 GT Premium convertible automatics, at least here in southeast Michigan, and all other dealers in Michigan.

Really, I just want to see how the vert looks in different colors, in person. Seeing a couple photos online don't do most of the colors any justice, and I won't spend $39K without seeing the color I want.

I will probably have to order my own as I just want a low-optioned automatic convertible, but they just don't exist anywhere. But ordering looks like it's just going to take forever. I really didn't want to wait till next year.

Just frustrating. Ordering seems to be hit or miss, and now dealer inventory is in the same boat.

I will get one. Oh yes. I will get one. I need one. It is calling to me. I yearn for my 4 ol' fox-bodies I had back in the 90s.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was shopping around here on Long Island, New York a few weeks ago. I ended up test driving two 2012 GT Premium coupes with manual transmission as no one had convertibles.

I ended up placing an order on Staten Island, and even there I ended up test driving a 2011 GT convertible with manual transmission as there were no 2012s on the lot.

As far as seeing the color options in person, yeah, right! There were no options locally so I placed my order for Grabber Blue based on the photos I've seen here and at the Ford web site.

Good luck!

LH

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good luck. You're going to have to look at the colors on a coupe and then order.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really really like the Kona Blue, but I understand that can't be ordered anymore.

One of the few verts I have seen in person.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mark, my dealer has a (brand new leftover) 2011 GT convertible in Race Red, which of course is the fastest color! It is a 6-spd manual though - any interest?

He has a 2012 Race Red convertible with an auto, but it is a V-6, though as I can attest there is nothing wrong with that engine!

We are near Ann Arbor - advise if any interest and I will hook you up with the right guy. Even if you wish to order exactly what you want, these folks have good allocation and will get it for you - mine took eight weeks including a 10-day hold-up at the VPC getting the stripes applied.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I really really like the Kona Blue, but I understand that can't be ordered anymore.

One of the few verts I have seen in person.
Don't get me wrong, I still like the color of my car, but if I had to do it again I think I would've gone for a lighter color. Seems to show off the lines of the car a little better.

Having previously owned german cars, I was mildly excited that I wouldn't be cleaning brake dust off my wheels every week. Lo and behold, the brembo pads put out almost as much dust as the german OE pads. If you go brembo, the gunmetal wheels will be 4-5 shades darker each week; on top of a darker paint color, the wheels can get lost.

·
Registered
246 Posts
After my ordering fiasco, I went hunting and, to be honest, found more automatics that manuals (I wanted a manual). I lucked into a low-option GT Premium Vert, which I've had for nine days (and driven 600 miles, because it's just too darn fun).

Supply is tight, no question. But it's worth the hunt.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Auto Convertibles in 2011 were easy to find for me. When shopping for my 2012 I had to choose the color from 2011 models. Fortunately the colors and the look of the car is the same year to year. I must say though, if you don't see your car with the black roof, its a totally different look. I wrote off grabber early on till I saw it in a ragtop and then fell in love with it.

Also, one word of advise is to check the difference between the cloth and vinyl roof. In my opinion, the cloth ads a much richer look to the car and is well worth the small upcharge.

·
Registered
360 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

""Performance White with rag would be one of my favorites

Oh, and the wheels on the stang I listed are GORGEOUS on the convertable!"

I certailny agree about Performance White Vert, particularly with SADDLE interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think we have pretty well settled on getting the GT Premium vert as we really prefer the cloth top over the vinyl.

And we are definitely getting the Automatic as my wife is fully anti-manual, for a few reasons. And that really is OK with me. I suffered through 2 of the AODs back in the day, and I was OK with those, except for when I switched the one for a built C4 after the AOD started slipping.

And I also agree that some of the colors do look completely different with the black top as opposed to the coupe.

All that being said, we are leaning toward the candy red tinted clearcoat, maybe the race red, and I really want to see the yellow blaze in person.

Wife hates the Grabber. I don't so much mind it in the vert.

And I prefer the 19" painted nickel 5 spokes. Will probably upgrade those wheels in the future, but those I think will be fine for awhile. I don't want the NAV, the CS package, or any rear view camera or sensors.

As for inventory, the sales person I spoke with was quite knowledgeable about the mustang and the Flat Rock plant. She even expressed some concerns over the inventory, and some of the customers orders too.

Just might have to place an order. Would be great to have one in time for the Woodward Dream Cruise though.

Thanks for all your input!

Mark

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks smike. yeah I am on cars.com all the time.

I can find a couple out of state...so i might want to take the 300-500 mile hike away from home.

I am getting anxious.

·
Registered
210 Posts
thanks smike. yeah I am on cars.com all the time.

I can find a couple out of state...so i might want to take the 300-500 mile hike away from home.

I am getting anxious.
There are two on lot here in Norman, OK. A race red auto and a candy red auto with 401A (charcoal/cashmere). Also, if you go to AutoTrader.com, you can select the options you're looking for and you can search the whole country and will send you updates if you choose.

Good luck! I pick up mine today!!! Woohoo!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.