Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

So I drive a 2006 Mustang V6 (picked it up Sept '05), which is approaching the 90,000 mile mark. It used to be driven QUITE a ways during my daily commute from LA to Orange County (50 miles each way) for about a year. I've taken a couple of drives to San Francisco in it. Nothing crazy.

I brought the vehicle in to my local dealership on a Wednesday to fix some dash and door rattles that have been getting progressively more persistent over the last few years. 2 hrs of labor for diagnosis brought me to $210. On Friday, they found the source of the rattles and told me they could fix it for another hour of labor, taking me to $315. Okay, let's do it.

"Well, there's more. During the inspection, we found some issues with the suspension and there's some general preventative maintenance." I'll cut to the chase for you:

SUSPENSION SERVICE

Lower ball joints loose, have excessive play. 0.25 inches of movement.
$554 parts, $315 labor (3.0 hrs), $869 TOTAL

Outer tie rod end boots torn/worn.
$74 parts, $105 labor (1.0 hrs), $179 TOTAL

Alignment check - Reset
$60

$1108 SUSPENSION TOTAL

---

RECOMMENDED SERVICE

Replace serpentine belt (90K miles)
$150

Rear Differential Service (90K miles)
$145

Coolant Flush - WRONG COOLANT
$135 TOTAL

Cabin Air Filter (90K miles)
$60

Brake Lights - 2nd and 3rd Right Side
$20

$510 RECOMMENDED TOTAL

$1618 GRAND TOTAL

So, my questions to you, dear Mustang owners:
  1. Is this expected maintenance for my vehicle at this mileage?
  2. Should I shop around for a better price from reputable mechanics?
  3. Is there any reason I would ONLY want Ford fixing these problems?
Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Have them fix the rattles and get the heck of there...now have a local mechanic fix the problems as you can afford them, the belt, brake lights and radiator are about the only things I see that might need some immediate attention. Look for coupons in the mail for that kinda flush/replace stuff, or get the parts and do it yourself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't mention the suspension service at all. Any insight on that? Also, what radiator are you talking about?

It's not that I can't afford these repairs, I just want to make sure I'm not paying more than I need to. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
167 Posts
If your at a dealership you will pay more than you need to. If you can afford them at the dealer go forth and do it....but.....

If it were me, I would do the coolant change myself, replace the tail light bulbs myself, replace the belt myself, change the Diff fluid myself, say screw the cabin air filter (or do it myself), have a Tire Barn or similiar do a front end alignment for $39 ONLY if I had odd tire wear or pulling to one side (They will do an alignment chk for free here where I live). And have an independent shop look at the Ball Joints and Tie Rods.

I too can "afford" it like you, but its the point for me not to spend excess $ if I don't have to. Guess I got that from my long gone Grandpa! :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sounds like a rip off to me.

G

·
SUSPENSION SERVICE

Lower ball joints loose, have excessive play. 0.25 inches of movement.
$554 parts, $315 labor (3.0 hrs), $869 TOTAL
You can get performance parts for cheaper and have any tire shop install them for A LOT less

Outer tie rod end boots torn/worn.
$74 parts, $105 labor (1.0 hrs), $179 TOTAL
Not necessary but again you can probably do it cheaper through the tire shop you select to do your ball joints.

Alignment check - Reset
$60
This is border line if you do the ball joints but a good idea so you don't trash your tires. A good tire shop would probably throw an alignment check in for free if you do the other service at their shop.

RECOMMENDED SERVICE

Replace serpentine belt (90K miles)
$150
Cost of a new belt from Autozone...$25...Satisfaction from doing it yourself...priceless.

Rear Differential Service (90K miles)
$145
Probably not necessary. Most rear diff fluids are made to go the life of the vehicle now a days.

Coolant Flush - WRONG COOLANT
$135 TOTAL
This is where your radiator comes into play...again, probably not necessary. Not sure what WRONG COOLANT means? Hell I run mostly water.

Cabin Air Filter (90K miles)
$60
Your choice but doubtful it is necessary.

Brake Lights - 2nd and 3rd Right Side
$20
Refer to the "serpentine" section. Bulbs are about a buck.

So to answer your questions:

1. Yes vehicles start to show the affects of wear and tear with increased mileage.
2. Without a doubt.
3. Absolutely not.

Break out a couple hand tools and knock some of this out on your own. You feel good about having done it and saving the money!

Good luck

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
The radiator is the "coolant" the dealership describes...a common scam, "right coolant"?...get some Prestone, works in any car and radiator...
Bottom line, yes you are paying too much, probably double what a local would charge for the same items

·
Registered
227 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
[email protected]'s post +100!

I think that is spot on explaining that :bigthumbsup

I need new wiper blades for my car to pass Virginia Inspection... I never changed them before taking the car in (Inspection at the Ford Dealer). If I didnt let them do it (they were bad) I would fail inspection, drive with a rejection to the store and buy my wiper blades and do it myself... I would then have to take it back to Ford and pay them another $15 for another inspection... didnt feel worth it to me...

Point is, I paid $20 for the Motorcraft wiper blades (actually very good IMO) and another $15 for them to install them... Really!?!? Thats a few seconds to do...

So yes, the dealership will rob you and no you dont NEED to take it to them. Dealerships are having a hard time now keeping maintenance on their vehicles so they try (in my experience) to find ways to make you believe you need THEM and they are better than other places when that isnt always true.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Sounds like they're trying to take you to the cleaners. I might have someone else take a look at those "loose joints"

Those air filters can be done by yourself for like 10 bucks.

And I'd never pay for rattles like that. That's insane. As cars age parts start to seperate and cause rattles. Rattles will come other places and I don't think you wanna pay 300 bucks everytime you hear one :)

Plus as the weather gets warmer, plastic/metal compenants expand and the rattles tend to go away, for me at least.

500 bucks for balls joints? Not sure if this is the part they're looking at but it's 160 @ AM.

Steeda X5 Ball Joint Kit (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Better double check the tail lights...my dealership said my tail light was out...and it wasn't. That annoyed me since I tend to trust my dealership.

I'd probably yell at these guys and not go back.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yup, I would take it elsewhere. That's a lot of money. I used to think dealers provided premium service, but over the last few years I have grown to believe they don't perform any better service than anyone else. It's going to be expensive no matter where you go.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Like a previous Mustang expert mentioned:

Frist - Have Ford fix all the rattles...

Second - Get a second estimate on the other work from an independent repair shop... ) You don't need Ford to replace ball joints, windshield wipers, coolant, etc.)

Third - Some of the repairs can to done by yourself (coolant, wiper blades, eetc.) unless you are a total genius and can't turn a screwdriver by yourself...

You could save over $500 or $600 (if not more) by doing some of the work and having an independent repair shop do the rest of the work...

Good Luck, Dave

·
Registered
550 Posts
That is their job into making you think this stuff needs done asap or else it will cause major problems. Just tell them you'll get back to them soon on getting all that done then just don't go back. It's outrageous but part of their job unfortunately. Great advice from everyone so far, hopefully you use it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
$60 for the cabin air filter? i costs $10 for one and it installs in 5 min with a phillips head screwdriver! Thats total b.s.

But the ball joints are known to wear out after all so that seems normal

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If your at a dealership you will pay more than you need to. If you can afford them at the dealer go forth and do it....but.....

If it were me, I would do the coolant change myself, replace the tail light bulbs myself, replace the belt myself, change the Diff fluid myself, say screw the cabin air filter (or do it myself), have a Tire Barn or similiar do a front end alignment for $39 ONLY if I had odd tire wear or pulling to one side (They will do an alignment chk for free here where I live). And have an independent shop look at the Ball Joints and Tie Rods.

I too can "afford" it like you, but its the point for me not to spend excess $ if I don't have to. Guess I got that from my long gone Grandpa! :)

I couldn't have written it better myself. This is a good plan that will save you a grand even if you need ball joints/tie rods & I would never use a dealer. Find a local mechanic for the stuff you can't do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
RIP OFF....as stated by the good folks above. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
139 Posts
take the advice of the members above me.. I couldn't agree more. Get the rattles taken care of at dealership & then high-tail out of there & address what you can on your own and w/local repair shops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts