Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got new tires, I have wheel spacers, and after about 20 mins of doing donuts and drifting in the snow there is now a death rattle at 55mph. I'm thinking it's my lug nuts coming a bit loose or my wheel bearing being shot, but I just want to check with yall who might've had this issue before.

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
So the question is, why haven’t you checked to see if it’s an issue with the lug nuts? Wheel spacers can be very dangerous, and generally discouraged. You need to stop driving it, and make sure the wheels aren’t about to fall off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the question is, why haven’t you checked to see if it’s an issue with the lug nuts? Wheel spacers can be very dangerous, and generally discouraged. You need to stop driving it, and make sure the wheels aren’t about to fall off.
I haven't driven it since it happened, and I would check everything with the wheels but I don't have a jackstand yet and my buddy that does is on vacation so I'm more or less waiting until I can get ahold of one.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,699 Posts
Just got new tires, I have wheel spacers, and after about 20 mins of doing donuts and drifting in the snow there is now a death rattle at 55mph. I'm thinking it's my lug nuts coming a bit loose or my wheel bearing being shot, but I just want to check with yall who might've had this issue before.

I haven't driven it since it happened, and I would check everything with the wheels but I don't have a jackstand yet and my buddy that does is on vacation so I'm more or less waiting until I can get ahold of one.
Any jack even the one that's in the trunk will suffice. You don't need stands to check a wheel for looseness. Heck, you don't even need to jack the car up to check the lugs for tightness. Just use a 1/2" breaker bar, ratchet, torque wrench, or the factory spare lug wrench to check.
Agreed with above that wheel spacers are pretty much NEVER a good thing to use unless it's just a car that is trailered to car shows. They amount to sacrificing safety to save $ or just to look cool(to some people anyway). That's never a good idea.
You will always have issues with spacers loosening up the wheels and it's a very common problem. Any spirited driving around turns, brake stands to smoke the tires, or donuts or drifting like you describe will likely loosen them very quickly.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I also suspect the spacers and lug nuts, but one other thing to check: make sure the retainer washer clips were removed from the studs; otherwise the spacers and/or wheels might not sit flat and that will cause a wobble/vibration; but it would be there from the start and it would not be just at one speed, so that probably isn't your issue

Reactions: Matt890

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any jack even the one that's in the trunk will suffice. You don't need stands to check a wheel for looseness. Heck, you don't even need to jack the car up to check the lugs for tightness. Just use a 1/2" breaker bar, ratchet, torque wrench, or the factory spare lug wrench to check.
Agreed with above that wheel spacers are pretty much NEVER a good thing to use unless it's just a car that is trailered to car shows. They amount to sacrificing safety to save $ or just to look cool(to some people anyway). That's never a good idea.
You will always have issues with spacers loosening up the wheels and it's a very common problem. Any spirited driving around turns, brake stands to smoke the tires, or donuts or drifting like you describe will likely loosen them very quickly.
Appreciate the heads up. Now time to see if my rims have enough clearance for my brakes without the spacers. Both my rims and brakes are aftermarket and the brakes are not small.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Appreciate the heads up. Now time to see if my rims have enough clearance for my brakes without the spacers. Both my rims and brakes are aftermarket and the brakes are not small.
It may be as simple as snow, ice built up on the inside of the rim(s), causing it to be off balance.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,699 Posts
Update: had to replace lower control arms and ball joints, cost me about $1000 in a shop. I got lifetime alignments so that raised the price a bit. It's fixed though.
Glad to hear that it's fixed. Was this a higher mileage car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts