Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was wondering if I could get some help? Ive a 67 fastback with no engine at the moment. I have in mind a modular v8 that I can tweak to turn out 500horses. (I know the towers will have to be notched)
My problem is I live in Ireland & these kid of engines arent very common.
I have been looking on american sites but have no idea what will fit & work best for cheapest dollar. I think second hand dohc is my best bet but not sure about long blocks or the different specs etc. Can any1 help with a recommendation or give me some advise

Many Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
I doubt ull beable to find an orginal v8 in ireland Best bet would be to ship a ford crate motor. blocks start around 1500$ and complete motors start around 3000$. (not 100% sure on priceing)

·
Registered
386 Posts
A late model modular motor is pricey. If you are intent on using one, check online for a used Cobra motor or used Mach 1 motor from 03-04. Otherwise, I'd look at a crate motor, probably a stroked windsor motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ford V8s are very hard to find over here. 1 might come up in the uk but I was planning on shipping from the states. Ive been looking up both new crate & second hand modular. I would rather the modular but does any1 know what the difference in the modular? I dont want to ship 1 in & find its the wrong size & wont fit? ie would a long block modular fit a 67 mustang?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
From what I know the mod motors aren't "bolt in" with these older cars, some fab work and possibly removal of the shock towers will be needed.

The easiest solution is a crate motor like suggested but sticking with a traditional 302 or 351 for example or go for a stroker like a 331 or 347.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A modular motor will not simply bolt into your 67. Check the dimensions, it is about the same width as the venerable Boss 429. Shock tower removal or modification is a must. Also, I am not sure what changes are necessary in the wiring harness and motor mounts.

The simpler option is a 302 or 351 crate motor. As mentioned earlier, if you're getting a crate motor, might as well go with a stroker for a little more $ and more power. Personally, I'd go with either a 331 or a 408.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?

I understand the engine bay has to be modified & I dont mind, Ive a friend who is an excellent welder & can easily do it, Ive also found a site which sells mounting brackets etc for the job.
I can find the modular engines on the net second hand for a lot cheaper then a crate. & I think it would be a better job then the crate

·
Registered
386 Posts
A mod motor will still need a different wiring harness I believe and the computer to go with it. You will also need to modify your fuel system for an electric pump (no biggie) and a return line. O2 sensors will need to be appropriately installed in your exhaust too. Also, not all mod motors are created equal. Getting a used mod motor from a Crown Vic is not the same as getting one from a Cobra. AND, you are talking about a USED motor to boot. Personally, if I don't hear the motor run, I don't buy it used unless I get it cheap enough to rebuild it.

If you are intent on running a mod motor, look for one of the older Cobra motors (non supercharged) or one from an 03-04 Mach 1. These have 4 valve heads and a strong bottom end. These motors are not as plentiful used and are more expensive than any old mod motor.

If you haven't checked yet, "tweaking" a modular V8 is more expensive than tweaking a 302 or 351. I know, I own both, have tweaked a pushrod motor and have priced tweaking my mod motor (02 Mustang). Notice I said "have priced", too expensive for me to do at the moment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gtjoe

Thanks for the advise gtjoe.
Ive been doing a heap of research on the mod v8s the past few day. I thought there were pretty much basically built the same. you are right about the cobra eng as it was the only one with forge pistons
As for mounting brackets & wiring I found a site that does conversion bits & pieces

DVS Restorations, Inc. - Contact Us

They seem ok.
Anyway Ive alot to think over:scratchchin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.