Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While having my 2011 GT serviced, I had the opportunity to sit in a Triple Yellow 2015 GT loaded with all options and selling for a sticker price of $44,100. I did not get an overwhelming urge to buy it as I did with the 2006 GT and my 2011 GT.

Watching the stock American Muscle 2012 GT beat their 2015 GT in a quarter mile drag race was the final straw that convinced me to opt out of buying the 2015 GT. The extra 10 lbs-ft of torque the 2015 Coyote delivers cannot overcome the cars weight gain, so I expect that on the street the 2015 GT will be meat for the Camaros and older 5.0 GT Mustangs.

Internally, the displays and controls in the 2015 GT are way too busy for me. I envision myself driving off of the road while playing with the controls.

So my decision is to renew and upgrade my 2011 GT or find an unmolested 2013 or 2014 GT500 to buy.

·
Administrator
8,692 Posts
Without a doubt I believe you made the right call! I would keep yours over the new style any day.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ditto here. The 2015 just doesn't do it for me. In a way I'm glad so that I won't be tempted to trade in my 2013 GT. That's my keeper. Unless of course someone starts to manufacture the "guts" of a 2014 with the shell of a 1965 -1969 fastback.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hey Bobby-That's a tough one and I know how it goes! I was window shopping this weekend and found an Oxford White GT with a 6-Spd that I was drooling over and I'm still not entirely sold on it. While it has a lot of bells and whistles I'm still pretty soft on the 13-14, especially the 500's and I think they might even be a better buy now that there's going to be a new Shelby on the horizon!

Alex

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Not sure why you would update your 11 to a 13 or 14. With what that might cost (depreciation, tax, license, etc.) you could do a heck of a lot of mods (maybe even a supercharger) to your 11.

The 15 has more 23 more hp than the 12 but not enough to overcome the additional weight and additional parasitic loss to the rear wheels due to the irs. My 12 feels like a real classic to me now. I think it would be a perfect body style if it had the 13 tail lights and a rear blackout panel. MMD makes a piece to fill the bumper gap on 11's and 12's when doing the 13 tail light conversion. Wish I could find the lights in a junkyard somewhere for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You probably aren't going to find a used 13-14 GT500 for too much less than $55,000 at this time. That being said, it is a great car. There is a lot of speculation from "experts" about the prices coming down when the GT350 comes out next year. I personally would keep the '11 and wait until production starts on the GT350. See what happens. If nothing else, you have about six months or so to look for a good used GT500 from some owner thinking of getting the newest performance car. It just won't be mine!

Pete

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope that the 2015 Mustang is successful for Ford, but the GT needs to able to outrun the Camaro and Challenger on the street. I have my doubts that the 2015 Mustang GT has enough muscle to do so. My 2011 Gt does well on the street, especially against the V8 Camaros.

The 2015 GT needs to go on a diet, perhaps to loose about 300 pounds. If the Eco-boost 4 cylinder can have a turbocharger, then make a turbocharger stock on the GT and tradeoff some of the glitzy stuff inside the car to offset the price. Could it be that I am jumping the gun, and rumored 2015 GT 350 will have boost?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2015 holds its own very well...most cars unless heavily modified won't even attempt it...I have a feeling they learned their lesson already.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally don't think there is a wrong decision here. If you keep you 2011 GT that is a good choice and you can free up a lot of $$ to do other things, car mods, buy some guns, other hobbies or buy the 2015 I think that is a good choice also it is up to you. I was looking at 2015 but did not want to spend that much; I have a chance to maybe pick up a very low mile 2014 GT for about $12,000 less than new.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2015 holds its own very well...most cars unless heavily modified won't even attempt it...I have a feeling they learned their lesson already.
What have you run against so far?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wouldn't touch one of those 2015 FusionStangs with Eurotrash styling with a ten foot pole!! There's a reason I purchased my 2014 GT/CS when I did.....old school styling till death!!gas.gif

Jedi Dave

·
Registered
826 Posts
I wouldn't touch one of those 2015 FusionStangs with Eurotrash styling with a ten foot pole!! There's a reason I purchased my 2014 GT/CS when I did.....old school styling till death!!gas.gif

Jedi Dave
I understand some peoples distaste for the 2015 Mustang. The 2015 Mustang for you and some others was the 1994-2004 SN95 Mustang for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To me, the '15 is well better styled than the '04s and represent original Mustang styling so much better. 25 years from now, the last gen ('05-'14) will probably be sought after classics, and pristine fox bodys will be the stuff of museums.

Given long enough, cars that once looked ordinary and uninteresting take on a new life. I remember seeing '68 Camaros and '78 Trans Ams all over the place and seeing one was a "so what?" occasion. Everyone and their brother had one. When the '82 Camaro came out people went bonkers over the squarish design. It was so... modern. The '81s seemed so yesterday and boring. Now there's folks who collect both of those body styles.

Bottom line, keep anything long enough and it becomes cool and interesting. Only a few years out, cars just start looking dated and tired. I have no worries about the '15+.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was going to purchase a Mustang last year. I could still order a 2014 at that time or wait abit and get a 15. I saw pics of the 15 and decided to order a 14 GT Premium. Glad I did. Finally saw a 15 in person and I liked the interior better than my 14but externally the 13-14 are much better IMO. I'm a long time Chevy guy but absolutely love the Mustang I bought. You might ask why I didn't buy a Camaro but I REALLY don't like them at all. Wanted a retro car and the Camaro didn't even come close.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm starting to like the '15, but what I have will not leave in it's place. I think I grabbed the pinnacle of what the Mustang is about in modern expression.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm starting to like the '15, but what I have will not leave in it's place. I think I grabbed the pinnacle of what the Mustang is about in modern expression.
I think the 15s look great and I also think the track pack should be how the car comes from the factory. Though you have what I think is one of the best all around stangs! Love the 13 boss 302s!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just had a 15 GT with track pack for three days, buddy loaned me his. I have a modified, low mileage 06 GT thats real fun to drive. Although I like the 15's styling somewhat, the handling, interior, various modes, the extra ponies etc, it did not impress me enough to consider selling mine and assuming a car payment. I wasn't wowed by the car at all. The S197's are IMO great looking and great value.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
There's no right or wrong answer here. They're both nice cars. My 2011 5.0 is pretty much maxed out. Built motor, big blower, exhaust, suspension, wheels & tires, cosmetic upgrades, you name it... and I'm selling the car to buy a 2015. I just want a new project. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good decisions all

I agree, no right or wrong. I'm buying a 2015 GT w/the PP this summer when I move back down to the lower 48 from Alaska. I've been up here since 1985. The last muscle car I had (in 1985 sold it before I came up here) was a 1955 Chevy, bucket seats, 4 speed Muncie tranny, 4:11 rear end, 500 HP bored out 327, headers, Crane 3/4 racing cam, 401 Corvette heads my brother in law & I built from a 55 Chevy Del Ray, 6 cylinder column shift. It was street legal (barely) but my DD. Had to tippy toe past cops though. Thing would probably stomp a few of the newer Stangs in the quarter. If not, come real close. Anyway, miss the roar & power of a muscle car. Am going to buy the 2015 GT with the Perf Pkg. I don't think I'll be disappointed with this car right out of the box with it's 435 HP & 3.73 rear end. Life is good!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
What have you run against so far?
Sorry for the delay...been unable to get back to a computer in a few weeks. Cars...2014 SS, V8 Chargers (No SRTs lol...but don't know exact year models since the newer ones look almost identical)...couple of BMW M4.

These were rolling runs just blowing off steam on the highway not full out strip runs. I love when the GT hits the RPM sweet spot and comes to life with a vengeance.

Enjoy your cars. Weather here is crappy...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts