Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new Mustang and I was shopping automatics, but I've had a pretty hard time finding one that I want with an automatic. I do know how to drive a manual, but this would be my daily driver and I live in the Midwest, near Chicago. Anyways, since I've been having such a hard time finding the car I want, I've started to look at manual equipped Mustang's as well.

However, I've been reading a lot about the issues 2011 owners have been experiencing with their manual transmissions and I'm afraid of getting one due to these problems. If you were still in the market for a new Mustang would this affect your transmission choice or for those of you who chose the self shifter, would you still opt for it over the auto?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Howdy, Rick. I read and re-read all you're referring to, and more.

My conclusion was to order what I wanted. Am absolutely thrilled with it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It sounds like (1) you want to find a car that has already been built rather than ordering; (2) you'd prefer an automatic

What is it that is not appealing to you on the cars that you have considered: color, options, ?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You're in an area with lots of dealers so you should be able to find a car like you want or get one of the dealers to locate one for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't have to drive mine every day, but no issues with the manual. While it isn't the greatest in traffic, I find sometimes it is easier for stop and go in the manual vs. the auto in my Audi. I find a lot of times you can get in 1st or 2nd and idle along withy traffic.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like (1) you want to find a car that has already been built rather than ordering; (2) you'd prefer an automatic

What is it that is not appealing to you on the cars that you have considered: color, options, ?
Well I'm set on black on black. I'd prefer an auto over a manual, but if I was to find a manual equipped one I would probably get it. In my intro thread I listed the options that I have really been wanting to find in a new Mustang. I guess I don't need all of them, but I'd like most. I'm trying to find one on a dealer's lot because I don't want to wait. It's the summer of the 'Stang! Or least I'd like for it to be.
You're in an area with lots of dealers so you should be able to find a car like you want or get one of the dealers to locate one for you.
I've been trying to. I've been working closely with Art Hill Ford in Merrillville, IN. Nothing is coming up for 2011's. At least not optioned how I want it to be.
I don't have to drive mine every day, but no issues with the manual. While it isn't the greatest in traffic, I find sometimes it is easier for stop and go in the manual vs. the auto in my Audi. I find a lot of times you can get in 1st or 2nd and idle along withy traffic.
I could deal with the manual daily, I'm sure, but I'm more or less concerned with all of the problems I've been reading about. I don't want to get my Mustang home and come to find out my transmission won't cooperate.

Thanks for all the replies. It's greatly appreciated. I feel welcome already!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Welcome aboard Ted.

Unless you are easily swayed by what others think I'd not let all the transmission hysteria factor into your decision at all. First and foremost, pick the one you think would make the most enjoyable Mustang for you.

Which leads us back to real subject, which one.

I know how to drive a manual, and quite well, and had three in a row... A V8 Camaro, a Civic, and an S10. I learned to drive on the Camaro (I needed a car FAST and told the salesman if he could teach me to drive it, I'd buy it, and he did) and it was exciting for awhile but the realities of mostly congested city driving quite frankly made it seem like an awful lot of work after the novelty wore off. I was about 35 at the time and had no previous exposure so I'd not worry about not being able to learn it. It becomes pretty instinctual in a very short time.

But I guess after the three manuals the thrill sort of wore off (it was fun saving the money though, LOL) and since I'm buying a car to please myself and I'm making the payments I ordered my new GT with an auto. I'm telling ya this thing totally hauls a** and I couldn't be happier with it.

What would be ideal is you have a patient friend who'd give you a few lessons... that would probably give you a real taste of whether a manual was something you wanted to commit too and would enjoy having all the time.

Good luck deciding. :bigthumbsup

PS If you find a dealer with open allocation you'd have a new one in about 8 weeks. When you think about how long you'll be making the payments is 8 weeks really that long to get the exact options you want? Just a thought. :D

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I wouldn't buy one...besides the trans, there are just too many issues reported with the engine as well, they need at least another year to iron out this car.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome aboard Ted.

Good luck deciding. :bigthumbsup

PS If you find a dealer with open allocation you'd have a new one in about 8 weeks. When you think about how long you'll be making the payments is 8 weeks really that long to get the exact options you want? Just a thought. :D
Thank you, and I understand what you're saying. I wouldn't let anyone else dictate my car buying choice. I really don't care about people who say that, "you should get a manual." Doesn't bother me at all.

I do know how to drive one though. So that isn't the problem. It's more or less, do I want one for my daily driver? I'm concerned about all the reported problems with them too. I don't want my new car to come broken.

When you put it that way, 8 weeks really isn't all that bad... ugh. I have some thinking to do... lol Thanks again!

I wouldn't buy one...besides the trans, there are just too many issues reported with the engine as well, they need at least another year to iron out this car.
Not even a 2012?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You know what you want, no compromises. You'll wake up feeling better every morning knowing you got exactly what you wanted.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ive put 3k miles on my baby in 2 months no regrets. This thing turns heads everywhere I go. If you listen to the vocal minority your head will start to hurt.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I've been trying to. I've been working closely with Art Hill Ford in Merrillville, IN. Nothing is coming up for 2011's. At least not optioned how I want it to be.
Why are you stuck on a 2011? Plenty of 2012's showing up and deals to be had on them.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
The Automatic is pretty bullet proof and you said you'd prefer it. In my experience, you're always better off getting what you REALLY want.

Do a search or better yet, have your dealer do a search.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have a thought on how set you really are on black / black.

I thought I was super-adamant on race/saddle, then saw a Kona which was perfect in all but the color, and now I couldn't be happier (well, I guess I could be, with a Laguna).

Now I realized I can't care less about the color. If overnight it turned white, or ingot, or any other production color, I'd be just as happy, and same for the interior.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Automatic is pretty bullet proof and you said you'd prefer it. In my experience, you're always better off getting what you REALLY want.

Do a search or better yet, have your dealer do a search.
Yes. Get what you want. Something you will enjoy when it is you and only you on the road.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Mt82 no complaints here :bigthumbsup Actually it is a smooth shifting trans and appears like it will take some abuse, I have a combined 8.5k now between GTs :winks

·
Registered
719 Posts
My 2011 manual has been running like a champ for 17,000 miles! :bigthumbsup I didn't let the horror stories scare me away.
Yeah but you baby that thing! :laughlitt:bounce2:

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I have a black on black automatic and I love it. It's my first auto Mustang and all I can say is that Ford did a good job with this transmission.:bigthumbsup

J

·
0 Posts
If anything all the problems reported here should empower you.
You've got a good idea of what to look and listen for on a test drive.
I'd make them start it cold in front of me and then listen for any taps or ticks, then during the drive pay attention to the engine, listen for knocking or piston slap. Then work the shifter, if you feel any clunkiness that should raise a flag. Test the clutch; engagement should be smooth and linear. Listen for any unusual noises when you release the clutch.

Then check out the paint. It seems the lip under the front of the hood and rear near the trunk and bumper are where most paint defects are.

If I had it to do all over, I would have waited a couple of years longer and let the bugs get worked out but if you really want one now then just be dilligent on the test drive and don't pull the trigger untill you're comfortable that there's nothing seriously wrong with the car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.