Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 66, I've got one of those clear filters. When I'm running it and driving it, the gas is nice and clear as it should be.

However, once I shut it down and come back a few hours later, it's deep dehydrated piss yellow color.

FYI, i've got maybe 20 miles on this new engine combo, and the entire car since I've bought it...so It could be a pre existing problem.

once I fire it up..within a minute or so, the gas in the filter turns clear.

I do have a slight surging problem...that i'm wondering if it's gas or water in gas related.

what do you all think?? What would cause gas to turn yellow like this after sitting

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Rusty fuel lines would be my quess.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crap.

guess it's not the end of the world, but you very well may be right.

think this is causing issues with my driveability??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is old but I am having exact same issue. Feels like car is surging and my fuel turns gold after sitting in my glass filter. Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know this is old but I am having exact same issue. Feels like car is surging and my fuel turns gold after sitting in my glass filter. Thanks!
I'm not an expert, but I believe that if you buy non ethanol fuel the problem will go away.
Does it start with yellow fuel?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The color of either ethanol or non-ethanol gas is the same: ethanol is a clear liquid as in EverClear.

I would agree with the 2009 diagnosis that rusty fuel lines sounds more reasonable. Even exposed directly to the air 50% of the volume of ethanol gas will evaporate in about 4 days during which time it does not appreciably change color. Since only 10% was ethanol to begin with those changes have little to do with ethanol. Closed up in a fuel filter any such changes will be even slower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts