Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever deleted the cats from factory pipes and if so, were the results good or bad???

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Good results as long as you get MIL eliminators to put on the wire harnesses from the rear O2 sensors.

G

·
Storkdork said:
Has anyone ever deleted the cats from factory pipes and if so, were the results good or bad???

I would go ahead and get an offroad pipe if u are going to do it. That way you would also have a 2.5 inch pipe as opposed to 2.25 IMO

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the price of an offroad h-pipe is what prompted me to ask. Kinda on a budget. Will going to 2.5" pipes really make that much of a difference on a relatively stock motor??

G

·
I dont know about the 99+ but with mine and the 96s and 97s we have 6 cats and 2.25 pipe. When i put my offroad x on it made a BIG difference, biggest difference with a mod i have done besides the cams and intake manifold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry to sound so new but, i have qouestions.
i have a 98GT and was wondering when you guts install catbacks and x or h pipes are you totally getting rid of the cat converters? if so how do you pass emissions?

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you remove the converters.. you don't pass emissions... I know here in Florida, we don't have emission testing anymore... Gotta love budget cuts!! THANKS JEB!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Thanks Jeb, i love ya too =) lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We dont have emmisions in OH. At least not where I'm at. the 99+ have 2.25.

Just trying to remain budget conscience about this whole thing but if an after market O/R h pipe makes that much of a difference at 2.5" then maybe I'll just fork out the cash for one. Will I have to get headers also or will it work with the stock manifold?

·
Registered
626 Posts
That was a question I had... Is there goin to be a big advantage from going up to the 2.5 inch pipes from the stock h pipe?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Storkdork said:
We dont have emmisions in OH. At least not where I'm at. the 99+ have 2.25.

Just trying to remain budget conscience about this whole thing but if an after market O/R h pipe makes that much of a difference at 2.5" then maybe I'll just fork out the cash for one. Will I have to get headers also or will it work with the stock manifold?
My next purchase is probably going to be a Mac Pro Chamber and some sort of Magnaflow system. Probably won't mess with the headers until I do heads and cams.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Larry Sergent said:
My next purchase is probably going to be a Mac Pro Chamber and some sort of Magnaflow system. Probably won't mess with the headers until I do heads and cams.
i got the mac pro chamber and mac exahust worked great but then i just snatched the mufflers and pipes off and now it comes out of the prochamber

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yes, the change from a 2.25 inch to a 2.5 inch exhaust and going down to 2 cats as opposed to 4 or 6 will make a very noticable difference. That and the sound are the reasons exhaust mods are the first ones many people make.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ItsaV6iswear! said:
i got the mac pro chamber and mac exahust worked great but then i just snatched the mufflers and pipes off and now it comes out of the prochamber
It must be very loud!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have 2000GT, can i still pass smog if i cut out 20 of my four cats? will i need MILs?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2000 GT. can i still pass smog if i cut out 2 of my 4 cats? Will i need MILs?

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you alter the Converters, yes. I have the SCT Xcal2, and my dealer just turned off my 02 sensors period. haha. As far as passing inspections, I have no idea. Move to Florida. :)

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
As long as you still have 2 cats you will be fine in most states. California requires all 4 I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Be warnded the X and H pipes do make your car smell like a run down ice cream truck. Especially if you have side exhaust like I do. I'm running a mac x pipe with 80 series flowmasters with all roush piping leading to the sides of my car. I have $1200.00 in my exhaust alone, I took no money cuts in the sound of my car. I hear from numerous people that I have one of the best sounding mustangs they have ever heard. My bro is running a X-pipe on his car not sure on the brand but he has the 40 series flowmasters and it can't compete with the sound and loudness of my 80 series. The 80 series are louder and sound a bit more aggressive, its fun to pull up to other mustangs running 40 series exhaust and they can't even hear there own car over mine:laughlitt I am also planning on doing headers in the future but I'm not to certain on what brand, I wan't to do more research on them just to see how they will effect the sound quality of my exhaust. By that said I mean with the increased air flow will the headers make my exahust sound popy/choppy. Risk I'm willing to take. Personally if I was to do it all over again, I would run high flow cats with a good set of headers and mufflers. The smell gets to me some times. One more thing if you do a x pipe or h pipe don't buy mil eliminators! Just spend the extra cash and get a diablo predator programmer. It can delete the rear O2 sensors plus you get more horses from the use of the programmer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.