Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivery and Problem

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mrv8outboard 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Stang owners!

I ordered my '05 Ford Mustang, GT Premium, with Redfire Metalic paint, Dark Charcoal leather interior, Interior Upgrade Package, 17" Bullit wheels, 5-speed manual transmission, rear spoiler, shaker 500 stereo. This car was ordered on 2/16/2005. It was serialized on 03/24, built the week of 4/4, released from the assembly plant on 04/07, shipped by rail car on 04/09, delivered to dealership on 04/14, purchased by me on 4/15. The car looks better than I had imagined, and runs fantastic. I had heard of some problems that others were having, but have not had these problems. For example, I had heard of gas tank problems when refueling, clicking clutches, popping steering, popping struts or shocks, clunking manual transmissions when shifting gears, skipping shaker stereo systems, and others. None of these problems are present in my car. However, I have had one particular problem, which I was hoping someone could shed some light on it.
Sometimes, when I go to start my GT, mostly when it has run for a while, I turn the switch to the position that fires up the engine, and nothing happens. When I release the key, the gauges all go down, and a small noise comes from the dash. All the car does, when I turn the key to the position to start it, is the engine 'clicks.' Sometimes, i have to do this 5 to 10 times before the engine will finally start up. I don't mean that the engine is trying to start up, it isn't getting any juice at all the first few times. It looks like an electrical problem, but I wonder if I am doing something wrong, when I go to start my car. Today, I stopped in at a gas station to refuel. When I got back in the car, I had to sit in the car almost 10 minutes, turning the key, before the engine fired up. All it kept doing was 'clicking' when I would turn the key. What is the problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
My VW did this. Took it in and it was the starter. How did they fix it...?? The mech gave the starter a couple of blows with a hammer! And never again a problem for the three years I had the car! :shrug

#4 ·
Sounds like the starter to me too. My 96 Maxima with 138,000 just did the same thing a month ago. Would start fine sometimes and others take a number of tries. Finally, one day I couldn't get it to start at all. Had to take my wife's car to work... the next day, it fired right up... drove it to the shop... forgot and turned it off in the service drive. Needless to say, they pushed it back to the service area. New starter later... it fires right up. Even seems to start better than it has for sometime. Maxima is being replaced by the 06 I have on order... Hope she lasts until the new girl arrives.

I would get yours in for service right away.

Enjoy... I'm jealous :D

#5 ·
kj_cinci said:
My VW did this. Took it in and it was the starter. How did they fix it...?? The mech gave the starter a couple of blows with a hammer! And never again a problem for the three years I had the car! :shrug
Amen on the hammer. I have to crawl under my company truck every so often with a hammer and "convince" it to crank. For some reason a few taps and it cranks fine for several months. It'd be a little more difficult to crawl under the Mustang though. Unless your name is Flat Stanley.

#6 ·
Lucky for you this is no VW.......

It mostly likely is one of a few things, none of which you can fix....you need take it into the dealer

There is a switch on the clutch. It may be faulty. The car won't start with not engaged.

It could be an electrical short circuit in the starter wiring or starter switch (key switch)

It could be a security issue where the car is not reading the key code

Either way, take it to the dealer, let them handle it. I know it is tough to hand over your new baby to the dealer.

#7 ·
Glen said:
Lucky for you this is no VW.......

It mostly likely is one of a few things, none of which you can fix....you need take it into the dealer

There is a switch on the clutch. It may be faulty. The car won't start with not engaged.

It could be an electrical short circuit in the starter wiring or starter switch (key switch)

It could be a security issue where the car is not reading the key code

Either way, take it to the dealer, let them handle it. I know it is tough to hand over your new baby to the dealer.
Or it could be the solenoid (Swedish, dunno if it's the same word?) The solenoid opens and shuts activating the starter, it can 'stick' which is helped by the knocks from the outside... I was told... :shrug

#8 ·
I think I might have figured out what the problem is. When I go to start the car, I've noticed that if I have the clutch completely pressed up against the fire wall, it will start. But if I have the clutch out just a hair, where it isn't touching the floor board, it won't start. I'm going to experiment with this some more, but that may be the problem.

#9 ·
what you can do to test that theory is to,not depress the clutch pedal,turn and hold the key in the start position and then depress the clutch pedal.you will then know just were the pedal has to be to crank.

also some people have said they found some fuses loose under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.