Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running Brenspeed's 93 tune since installing my DeMolet CAI since returning from Iraq. I've had no issues with anything on the car with that setup. I installed Bama's 93 race tune & it was throwing rich codes (both banks), so Doug rewrote the tune but still was throwing the rich codes. Doug thinks the reason may be due to the DeMolet being "not a well manufactured intake" & recommends going with a different CAI. I researched the DeMolet pretty extensively prior to purchase & did not see any negative comments about the product. The Bama Race tune ran really well :bigthumbsup & even when the CEL came on, there was no noticeable difference in performance but I'm not going to run the car knowing that it's running too rich & the inconvenience of having to constantly clear the codes. I also cleaned the MAF sensor in case that was the culprit, but the CEL kept popping up. I reinstalled the Brenspeed 93 tune & no codes are popping up. Doug did offer to refund the cost of the tune & I don't want this post to in anyway be taken as derogatory towards Doug/Bama Chips.

Any other members running the DeMolet having any/similar problems? I remember reading some posts a while back where a rep. w/ DeMolet was on here, so maybe he'll chime in as well.

Thanks all,
Wayne

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that intake.

Agree... I have the John Demolet cai and the Bama 93 race tune and no codes :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I concur and am quite surpised BAMA chips would point a finger at a CAI, especially John DeMolet's Tunable Induction CAI. Think about it...your setup worked fine with Brenspeed's tune and now all that you've changed is the tune....hmmmm, go back to Brenspeed's or seek out a dyno tuner, you have a bunch of them on your state I'm sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
demolet is top notch, change tuner

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug stated in our email traffic that ..."we have these problems constantly with the DeMolet intake". That's the first I've heard of any problems with the DeMolet's. And as was stated, Brenspeed's (who I also purchased the CAI from) tunes have never had any issues. I'm not going to speculate on the reasoning, I know how things on here can be misconstrued. I definitely don't want to get any bad blood started between any of the vendors on here, because I try to give a little of my business to as many different ones that I can. I just hate that it didn't work out, because the tune was a real kick in the a$$ to drive.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Very happy with My demolet CAI. Sounds like the issue is with the tuner. If you can, get a dynotune done.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm considering that with the shop that installed my gears.......Custom Performance in Concord, NC. Just don't have the coin at the moment to justify it, especially when the Brenspeed tunes are serving me well for the time being.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been running Brenspeed's 93 tune since installing my DeMolet CAI since returning from Iraq. I've had no issues with anything on the car with that setup. I installed Bama's 93 race tune & it was throwing rich codes (both banks), so Doug rewrote the tune but still was throwing the rich codes. Doug thinks the reason may be due to the DeMolet being "not a well manufactured intake" & recommends going with a different CAI. I researched the DeMolet pretty extensively prior to purchase & did not see any negative comments about the product. The Bama Race tune ran really well :bigthumbsup & even when the CEL came on, there was no noticeable difference in performance but I'm not going to run the car knowing that it's running too rich & the inconvenience of having to constantly clear the codes. I also cleaned the MAF sensor in case that was the culprit, but the CEL kept popping up. I reinstalled the Brenspeed 93 tune & no codes are popping up. Doug did offer to refund the cost of the tune & I don't want this post to in anyway be taken as derogatory towards Doug/Bama Chips.

Any other members running the DeMolet having any/similar problems? I remember reading some posts a while back where a rep. w/ DeMolet was on here, so maybe he'll chime in as well.

Thanks all,
Wayne

I have the same problem as you except I'm running lean on both banks, not rich. I have a Demolet CAI and a Bama 92 Performance tune. I was told the CAI was the problem and to switch also to a different one. I do have a Shaker scoop also that may be causing it to run lean, but I've been unsuccessful in getting a proper tune for it to fix the problem. I'm stuck just like you. And the worst thing is that my car shuts down sometimes while I'm driving. It doesn't do it while stock, but I'm leaning more towards the tune causing the problem. I've been trying to figure this out for the past 2 years!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have the same problem as you except I'm running lean on both banks, not rich. I have a Demolet CAI and a Bama 92 Performance tune. I was told the CAI was the problem and to switch also to a different one. I do have a Shaker scoop also that may be causing it to run lean, but I've been unsuccessful in getting a proper tune for it to fix the problem. I'm stuck just like you. And the worst thing is that my car shuts down sometimes while I'm driving. It doesn't do it while stock, but I'm leaning more towards the tune causing the problem. I've been trying to figure this out for the past 2 years!!!
Make sure there are no vacuum leaks in any of the CAI's connections(incl. the CAI's port for the MAF sensor).

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I also have the DeMolet Tunable Induction CAI with no issues. But my tune came from DeMolet on a SCT Tuner. Bottom line, tunes and CAI's have to be matched. You have one that works and one that doesn't with your CAI. It isn't the CAI or the tune but rather the combination. I'm sure BAMA could adjust their tune to work with your CAI if they had access to one. Why not stick with the one that works? How much difference can there really be that you would notice?

That said, even something as simple as changing your air filter can affect your CAI and running lean/rich. Did you change filters? I presume not given you've been flipping back and forth between tunes. But I went from the Green oiled filter that came with my CAI to a dry AEM and it leaned out my tune somewhat.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I did a ton of research on intakes before I bought mine. I'm (or was) the kind of guy who didn't have a ton of money sitting around to dump into my car so every mod had to be right the first time.

Demolet originally turned me off because of their lower price. To me, you get what you pay for and a lower price usually means lower quality especially in auto parts. After numerous conversations here on AFM as well as e-mail conversations with John Demolet and Doug Studdard (bamachips) I decided to go with the Demolet and purchased it from John's site along with an SCT tuner for $479.

The tuner was loaded with an 87, 89 and 91 octane Demolet tune, aimed specifically at adjusting for the new intake. To my knowledge there were no throttle response or other adjustments made. At least I haven't noticed any.

So far I haven't had any check engine lights or problems. I started out with the 89 tune but moved up to 91 when I had my gears installed, since I was reloading the tune anyway and gas prices had gone down drastically.

What really surprises me is that Doug (Studdard) is telling you its the intakes fault. On the Demolet website John has testimonials from Doug stating how much horsepower they've made with his (Johns) intakes and (Dougs) tunes. :happyhapp

And I was just about to order myself a 3-pack of tunes from Doug. Might go brenspeed instead now. :so

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same issue but I'm running S @ B intake. I researched them and seemed like a well designed and built CAI so I bought it. Installed the SCT Xcal 3, was super lean from canned AM tune, got a 93 Race tune from Bama, really woke up the car but 2nd day I was running it, CEL with Rich code came on.

I reinstalled the stock tune, and ran the 93 tune again and cleared codes, driven car maybe 150 miles since and no cel. I did ask Doug about it but was told same thing, "Not a well designed intake" I'm going to get a dyno pull done soon to see the a/f but I really don't want to buy a new cai or have to get a dynotune done now as just shelled out for gears and und pulleys.

Anybody else have the S and B cold air and like it, hate it ect? Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've tried several tunes from several tuners, and Doug's tunes have been significantly better. I had never even heard of the DeMolet intake until right now.

Doug's tunes are a "kick in the ass to drive" as the OP says because his tunes are good. Knowing what I know now, I'd rather have one of Doug's tunes in my cars than a Demolet (or any other CAI) intake; any day.

Either way, rich is better than lean(safer for your engine, anyway). Have you tried leaning out the A/F ratio through the tuner? You can still adjust the parameters of a custom tune, no?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The DeMolet actually sells for higher than a JLT (on Brenspeed's site anyway) & John DeMolet got in touch with me by phone, email & on here. I'm posting his response per his request. I'm very happy with the DeMolet & do not plan on changing it out because I also think it's the tune. Like I said in earlier post, nothing against Bama Chips or Doug, sometimes things just don't always "mesh" together like they should.

Email from John Demolet:

Wayne;

I retrieved your phone message too late to call back last night.
The problem, as indicated with reuploading the Brenspeed tunes, and the lights clearing out, is not the intake. The codes would be tripped with my tunes and Brenspeeds if it were the intake.
After 5 years in service we haven't experienced any abnormalities with this system.
Try out our tunes again also.
We've made some minor changes to the system since BAMA was one of our dealers and our tunes and Brenspeeds tunes have been compatable with these changes, as well as our new dealers we've added since the changes.

If you have any more problems please let me know.

Please post this response to the forum.

John DeMolet

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also have the DeMolet Tunable Induction CAI with no issues. But my tune came from DeMolet on a SCT Tuner. Bottom line, tunes and CAI's have to be matched. You have one that works and one that doesn't with your CAI. It isn't the CAI or the tune but rather the combination. I'm sure BAMA could adjust their tune to work with your CAI if they had access to one. Why not stick with the one that works? How much difference can there really be that you would notice?

That said, even something as simple as changing your air filter can affect your CAI and running lean/rich. Did you change filters? I presume not given you've been flipping back and forth between tunes. But I went from the Green oiled filter that came with my CAI to a dry AEM and it leaned out my tune somewhat.

Doug has sold the Demolet intake before. He knows how to tune for it. The problem I had with the Demolet intake was that it was an earlier version and the grommets for the MAF screws would pop out letting air in. Demolet was kind enough to give me a current replacement. Ever since the new install, lean codes are popping for both banks. The filter is the Green one, recently cleaned at around 15,000 miles. Doug did richen up my tune for the Shaker scoop but it leans out after driving on the freeway or at high speeds. The point is that several people are having problems with a Demolet/Bama combo, leaning out or too rich, and a solution hasn't been figured out.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Honestly......the best solution is a professional dyno tune by an experienced tuner. I know for some of you, there isn't a place close or one that you're familiar with. The "canned" tunes are ok and in most cases will work to peoples satisfaction. But, as it has been said many times, each car, each engine is different, no two are alike. So....making a canned tune that will satify all, is virtually impossible. That's why getting a professional dyno tune is so important. It's a tune specifically for your engine and it's characteristics.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing is, numerous people on here have had a dyno tune after having the "canned" tunes from Brenspeed, Bama, etc. & the dyno tuner wasn't able to get much more (if any in some cases) out of it due to the tunes already being pretty good. So my concern is.....I've already spent $50+ dollars for a tune that makes the car so much better than stock, I take it to the closest dyno tuner & pay $375 for a dyno tune & then have them tell me that there wasn't a whole lot they could tweak. I do agree that the dyno tune is the best route to really see everything your car is doing, but the $325 I have left over can come in handy for further parts & the all needed fuel......because I can't keep my size 14's out of the pedal. :happydance:

Back to the topic at hand though, Doug from Bama did refund my $ & John DeMolet has followed up with me on several occasions to make sure that everything is good to go. I gotta echo sentiments from my fellow stangers on here, the customer service from both of these guys has been nothing but outstanding!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Doug has sold the Demolet intake before. He knows how to tune for it. The problem I had with the Demolet intake was that it was an earlier version and the grommets for the MAF screws would pop out letting air in. Demolet was kind enough to give me a current replacement. Ever since the new install, lean codes are popping for both banks. The filter is the Green one, recently cleaned at around 15,000 miles. Doug did richen up my tune for the Shaker scoop but it leans out after driving on the freeway or at high speeds. The point is that several people are having problems with a Demolet/Bama combo, leaning out or too rich, and a solution hasn't been figured out.
I had that same issue with the grommets popping out. It was nothing a little super glue couldn't solve.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
$375, WOW thats steep. I'd shop around, that price can be beat and by very experienced tuners.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.