Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got my heads on to test out the geometry. To my knowledge, aiming for a centered pattern comes second and a narrow sweep pattern is more important with a max of .060" sweep.

Here is my problem. My 6.250" pushrods are too short. The pattern is center, but the sweep is way too wide at .125". So I adjust the pushrod using a check, checker springs, and solid lifter.

By the time it gets in the acceptable range of around .065" I am in the outter 1/3 of the valve tip. the further out I get, the more narrow the sweep pattern. My question is, how far out can I go? Am I already too far?

Here are a few pics. Picture 1 = .065" 2= .055 3= .058

Picture 2 seems to be the sweet spot @ 6.550 length. This gives me a reading of .582 lift while my cam card says .576". I need some help asap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I would run the .058, just for a little more valve contact. Keep in mind that once a real spring is used, you will loose some lift from deflection. So being over on lift with a checking springs is normal.

Also, pattern width is also affected by cam lift. It follows a longer arc, so a cam with lower lift could have a smaller sweep than one with a higher lift. So max of .060 on the sweep is hard to do across the board. So generally .060-.080 is accepted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would run the .058, just for a little more valve contact. Keep in mind that once a real spring is used, you will loose some lift from deflection. So being over on lift with a checking springs is normal.

Also, pattern width is also affected by cam lift. It follows a longer arc, so a cam with lower lift could have a smaller sweep than one with a higher lift. So max of .060 on the sweep is hard to do across the board. So generally .060-.080 is accepted.

Thanks for the respose.

With it perfectly centered Im looking at .100 pattern. and slowly gets more narrow the farther I move from center.

the .58 is the one farthest out toward the exhaust, not close to center. The .65 is the one that is closest to center in the 3 pictures I posted. None of them being close to center. Is it ok to run them that far from center?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever get an answer about this? I'm having the same problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts