Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly causes this Detonation, does my car not like 89 anymore ??? I put bosch platinum 1's in it about almost a year ago only cause i ws poor at the time, now i am haveing horrible detonation problems on regular, midgrade pretty much solves the problem but its kind of costly for what its worth. Second question, when im having this problem of detonation is it actually harming my motor at all mechanicaly ??? could my coil pack ( distributer i beleive) have anything to do with it ??/ wirea ??? anysuggestions or info would be gratly appriciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I beleive that detination is when the temp of your cylinders gets so hot that it ignites the air fuel mix before the spark plug fires. It can definitally harm your engine. Im not really sure may be causing it, but id try changing plugs. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You are either running lean, have a bunch of carbon deposits on your piston which will raise the compression ratio and cause detonation, or your timing is too far advanced.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
You are either running lean, have a bunch of carbon deposits on your piston which will raise the compression ratio and cause detonation, or your timing is too far advanced.
yeah, the answer is either bad gas, or bad timing, or carbon deposits.

OEM plugs will not cause detonation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.