Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cams arrived Friday afternoon at about 3:00 and I had them in at 8:00. 5 hour install...not too bad considering I've never worked on a 4.6 before. I did change plugs last week so I was somewhat familiar with the engine but that was it. Ok, I used to be an auto mechanic but the last time I turned wrenches professionally was in 1997.

The install went pretty smoothly. No surprises at all. It helps to have good instructions and the proper tools.

I'm still waiting for the tune from Brenspeed. It should be here on Tuesday. I still have the Bama 91 race tune in. I haven't driven the car yet but it does seem to run well. I'll take it for a drive later on today.

The only glitch I noticed is the CD changer is acting up after having the battery disconnected. You can here it cycling through all the CDs and when it stops it says "CD ERROR". Maybe I'll have to disconnect the battery again. If nothing else, it's still under warranty !

Sometime in the next month or two I'll have it dynoed and see how much, if any, I've gained.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Cams

I picked up a nice gain with these cams. I will say this after starting it up let it grab the idle before you take off. The RPM's will as you know are higher at start up and let it settle and when it starts to lope your fine. When the weather got cooler it just liked the little warm up before taking off. The thing I like about these Cams is how smooth they are for a Rough Idle Cam and Brenspeed is great to deal with. Congrats and enjoy and keep us posted. Can not wait to get home and hit the open road in my Mustang.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
412 Posts
How are you going to pass emmissions in Cali with those?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you going to pass emissions in Cali with those?
We don't have an annual emissions test in our county. We only have to have the car tested when we sell it. I'll reinstall the stock cams at that time or have an emissions tune written.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congrats on the install.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
anyone ever do a pictorial write up on how to install cams in these cars? i think i speak for quite a few people that we would be very interested.....:yup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm running a set of the Brenspeed {Detroit} Blower Rocker Cams right now.
They do good. :D

I think you will like them as many of my friends also have them.

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If nothing else, it's still under warranty !
Not anymore... If cams are installed it will void your cd players warranty. :nogrinner

·
Registered
572 Posts
Did the tune from Brenspeed cost you extra?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did the tune from Brenspeed cost you extra?

Yes, it did.

Side note : My CD player works fine now. I guess it just had a temporary memory lapse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What are you guys running your Idle RPM at for these Cams? My Bama tune has it at 775, but at that high of an RPM, I really do not hear the cams lope. I dropped it down to 725 and that improved it a bit, but not much. I finally settled on 675 and now I can hear them and the car has a nice shake to it. It is still driveable though!

Has anyone switched from a Bama tune to a Brenspeed tune after the Detroit Rockers were installed? I have been wondering if Brenspeeds is any better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts