Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing all the rear bushings with urethane bushings and want to use the best lubricant for long lasting lubrication and no squeek action. I have heard that Bi-electric Grease works very well and last long, and someone recommended liqiud wrench's white lithium grease spray (no melt, freeze, run). What do people think? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Camben

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would think that any petroleum lubricant would aid in breaking down polyeurathane. I would think a heavy based silicone grease would be better.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I used dielectric grease, the tube of lube that came with my Energy poly bushings for my rear leafs was too small to lube them well so I went to the parts store and bought a ~$5 large tube of dielectric grease. I could not find the chemical composition of either on the tube or internet but they both were the same color, sticky consistency, same smell, feel, etc.
Lubed the bushings liberally and drove the car ~9mos. without a squeek before tear down of drivetrain.
Jon

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Any synthetic grease will work well. Petroleum greases are said to attack the bushings.

I bought a 13$ can from McMasterCarr.com

Part # 1378K34

High-Temperature Synthetic Grease with PTFE 14.1-Ounce Can, Nlgi 2

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
NAPA sells a silicone grease for this purpose. It's called "Sil-Glide" Part Number 765-1351 It comes in tubes. This grease is a little less expensive than the electrical dielectric silicone grease. It's harmless to rubber, but it will actually soften and renourish rubber that has weathered and hardened. There's all kinds of uses for this stuff as listed on the tube.

There's another grease that I've found to work well on poly bushings. It's called "Reese Teflon Hitch Ball Lube" part number 58117. It comes in a small jar. I found this at WalMart in the RV section.

Of the two greases, the Sil-Glide has more uses. Just don't get it on any surface that you are going to paint unless you thoroughly clean it off. Paint won't stick to the slightest bit of it on the surface. I've found White Lithium grease has a tendency to dry out after a short while. Petroleum grease will ruin many rubber compounds, but it is harmless to poly bushings.

·
Registered
539 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts